Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it cheaper to buy bulk up the north ??

Options
  • 09-10-2006 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Is it cheaper to buy building supplies up the north in bulk ,mostly copper and plumbing supllies I'd be looking for along with fixings ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

After pricing materials with merchants North & South for a house there was only €55 in the difference on an order of €2500.

The northern merchants will only supply metric pipe and fittings. Copper has drastically increased over the last year so it maybe time to look at PEX pipe & fittings.

The only advantage in going north is possibly better service and having the materials in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If you can supply a VAT number you can save on that. Make one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

nipplenuts wrote:

Most businesses will check the VAT number with Interstat (?) as if it is a blag one they will be liable for the VAT themselves. So it should be a legitimate VAT number. I have heard that some people take the no. off a VAT invoice they have received from some legitimate company, not something I would suggest or condon of course!

I have also heard of people purchasing goods here VAT free using a UK VAT number. :eek:

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

nipplenuts wrote:

How do you save on a VAT Nr, if you're registered you can reclaim VAT. If you make one up, you'll get spotted and risk being charged with fraud.

Nipplenuts? more like BirdBrains!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

If a UK based supplier is supplying goods into Ireland and the customer/person/company that they are supplying to is VAT Registered then they do not charge the 17.5% UK Vat. The onus is on the supplier to check if the Vat number supplied is valid. This site allows them to do it: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/en/vieshome.htm

UK suppliers sometimes register for Irish VAT if they do enough business here to warrant it. In this case the customer is simply charged 21% Vat which can be reclaimed as normal if you are Vat registered.

If the UK supplier does not validate the Vat number then in the event of a UK Customs audit they will be liable for the 17.5% themselves.

I would imagine giving someone else's Vat number would be subject to a fraud prosecution if UK Customs ever tracked you down:eek:..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gareth Austin

Hi there

We are a business on the Irish side of the Border. We do a lot of businesses from the North and they use their UK vat number to get the Vat taken off the price, effectively buying the product vat free.

For this to happen:
    The Client must produce an original valid UK Customs and Excise Vat certificate.
    A copy of their headed paper with the relevant VAt certificate adress matching
    This is done 5 working days in advance so that we can verify the legitimacy of their documentation.

It works the same way when I import goods from the North.

Neither I nor my border business budies in the North or the South would supply dedcut the Vat on someone sayign a Vat number in the shop. As at VAT inspection time they want to see all the UK vat numbers that you have exported to so that they can verify them - if theyre wrong I'm liable for the VAT.

Advertisement