Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic mailing lists do you subscribe to?

Options
  • 09-10-2006 8:29pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just been thinking about this lately - I've had a few really interesting conversations with people who draw comics about how they work, what materials they use and it's all stuff I want to know more about. Which got me to thinking. Forums are all very well, but I want stuff from the people who make their dough from doing this professionally.

I've been on Warren Ellis' mailing list Bad Signal (go here to sign up) for years now, and it's good - a great mix of comics talk, random crap he's looked at recently that he might use 5 years down the line in a comic, and discussions about all the stuff he gets involved in and some of the ideas he uses.

What other comics-related mailing lists are you on? I'd prefer ones by professional comic author/artists, but if there's other useful ones out there post the details up.

(I'm in two minds about blogs here - ideally I'm looking for something where I can get it straight into my mail, without having to muck about with RSS feeds, viewers or anything like that. But we shall see what happens...)

(Also : From here on until the publication of Nextwave #11 I want everyone to put "Mark millar licks goats" in as one of the tags in their posts. Just to see what happens. Maybe we can get this forum to be the number one site for people searching for "Mark millar licks goats", although that may or may not disappoint those doing the searching...)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well Goddamnit, if this thread ends up just being me posting blogs and lists I find interesting then so be it.

Steven Grant's Permanent Damage

I found this after reading Mortal Souls. Definitely worth checking out, he's done some interesting pieces about the nuts & bolts side of working in comics and how he approaches writing for comics.

John Rogers Kung Fu Monkey

This one I found while trying to find out more about Avengers Disassembled and Identity Crisis. Noticing the phrase "Y'honour, bitch crazy" on a google search page, I opened up and found a very entertaining and informed blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote:
    Well Goddamnit, if this thread ends up just being me posting blogs and lists I find interesting then so be it.

sorry hon wish i could add to the thread but the only mailing lists I'm really on are the IGI one and the SVA cartooning grad list both of which aren't open mailing lists. The one i actually get some use out of is Yuko Shimizu's mailing list but its not so much an offical mailing list as her sending mass emails to friends and former students. I actually get alot of emails from people like that, artists I've spoken with or emailed once add you to their address book and every now and again you get a mass email with some interesting news.

I prefer blogs like Drawn or talkAboutComics as I can check them when it suits me where as I find myself deleting alot of emails cus i just don't have the time to read them or i end up missing personnal emails cus of them.

Advertisement