Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on my new widescreen monitor

Options
  • 09-10-2006 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Ran a thread here a while back, didn't get round 2 buying the monitor yet, only flush with cash now. I'm thinking bout ordering this 2morro: http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2025wm/
    Its on this page on OCUK, 3rd from bottom: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/20_Inch_LCD_Monitors.html

I'm a big gamer and new to widescreen. How will my volt modded 7900gt fair out with it.
    Opinions/alternatives please,
    Thanks in advance,
    Pog

Going by this guide, its 1 of the best out there: http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-13/updated-survey-13-lcd-20-5-6-8-16-ms.html
    The Dell is on special offer "this week only" on OCUK, but the above guide says this
    Also, the Dell could be highly recommended. It is fast, has very good ergonomics, exemplary finishing touches, and very accurate color quality from the start. So, what’s the problem? There is the inconsistency in the choice of panels. It is disturbing to know that Dell changes components and liquid crystal technology without informing the customer. Yes, we tested a very good monitor here, but there is no guarantee that you will buy the same one in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i would say go fot the dell ment to be unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have a 17" dell at the mo, not 2 fond of the glossy screen. Its also UK£35 more expensive than viewsonic, even with the special offer.

This is also a candidate: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322266&view=detailed
    Is the viewsonic worth the extra few quids (50ish euro)? Does any1 have this Samsung? Works out a little cheaper off ocuk, than Komplett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Which Dell are you looking at the 2407 or the 2007 ?

If its the 2007 I would go with the Viewsonic it has got favourable reviews as a gaming display.

As for the Samsung there is a user review here.

I think the Viewsonic is probably the safe bet.

An overclocked 7900GT should be able to handle 1680x1050 though the occasional game may demand you scale back AA/AF.

Ya, its the 2007 Dell. Think i'll go with the viewsonic, unless some1 else convinces me otherwise, gets great reviews from all i've read bout it.
    Cheers,
    Pog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

asus have a nice new widescreen monitor out i believe, its supposed to be cheap too, CPC did a review on it

or this ;)http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325763

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hey Pog, I have a Viewsonic VX2025 at home and just got a Dell 2007 WFP in college this week, so I can give you a bit of advice.

The Dell is hooked up to an optiplex which only has VGA, so that might hold it back a tad, also it means i cant comment on any banding issues.

For me, the viewsonic is better, it may not have features like PIP, which i will probably never use, nor does it have the range of motion of the dell. However the dell height adjustment is quite limited and i find that i only ever really use the pitch adjustment on either monitor.

I have to say that I am quite biased towards the viewsonic, maybe because i have played games and watched movies on it, but its a great, functional monitor that gets the basics just right. The contrast and brightness are just right, and the colours are pretty rich. Both are matte screens, but i find the dell more grainy.

There is sone back light bleed, most notably on the X (corner to corner) of the screen, but it can only really be seen when the screen is displaying a predominantly black image (at boot-up, windows screen saver). I have never noticed it during gaming or movie watching, I think you would have to be pretty anal to get upset by it. The viewing angles are very good, again this is my personal opinion i dont have numbers to back it up, there is some wash out as i move my head from side to side, but the image is still pretty good.

On a side note, the viewsonic has a nice little cable management feature that lets you hide cables in the neck of the chassis, whereas my dell shows the ugly cables dangling about. However, the dell has a USB hub, dead handy at work but my home PC has an antec p160 with those nicely positioned ports at the front.

Psychopat: Read that article on Asus in cpc mag other day, says in article that Asus is comparable to the Dell, if Dell is cheaper, get the Dell, if asus is cheaper get Asus. But Viewsonic is cheaper than both & gets great reviews. Comes in silver 2 which will match my Technics 5.1 system & my silver pc case.

DirkVoodoo: Kinda had my mind made up on the viewsonic, but you've just reassured me that its a good choice. Not worried bout not having extra usb's on the monitor, have enough already (when i get round to connecting them all).

Cheers every1 for the advise,
    Pog

can some1 post a link to the site for the widescreen game hacks.

Anyone have that 22' Samsung, works out about the same price as the 20' viewsonic?

Edit: Read a review & its supposed to be ok, but colours look a bit off & there are some colour bleeding issues. Think i'll stick with the viewsonic. Ordering later on tonight.

hmm wana give your 17" dell to a person in need (me!!)

I'm givin my old rig & monitor 2 kids m8.

• Advertisement

can i be your kid then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Cheers ^whitey^ :D

FYI I got a samsung 205BW had trouble with it so rang customer care. After 2 mins on the phone they sent a new one to a courier who will drop the new one off to me and collect the old one within 5 working days. No need to go through the horrible RMA with komplett.

I will always be buying Samsung monitors from now on.

Hi im looking for an opinion on the following, http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322266

in case the link dont work (Samsung 20" LCD Syncmaster 205BW TCO03, Silver, 1600x1050, 6ms, VGA/DVI, 700:1)

gaming purposes obviously

700:1 contrast? Is it just me or does that seem a little low? I would have thought 800:1 minimum...oh well, looks like a class monitor though.

Psycopat thats the monitor I got great value from the reviews. Im probably not the best person to give you a review though as I went from a 15" CRT to this I'll let you know what I think once I get my X1950XTX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

What happened to your Samsung, Whitey?

The screen went dead basically, it was getting power but the panel would come on for a while sometimes only for one second and then go black/dead. I'm sure it was just a faulty connection inside somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35043

This Dell looks interesting if the price is right.

• Advertisement

and a better rs time looks nice.do samsung still make there screens??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

This LG Monitor is getting great reviews and is very well priced for a 20" widescreen.

I thought Dell and Apple panels both use LG-Phillips panels? Maybe its just the 24/30" models, i really cant keep up with dells to-ing and fro-ing!

Psycopat wrote:
    Hi im looking for an opinion on the following, http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322266

in case the link dont work (Samsung 20" LCD Syncmaster 205BW TCO03, Silver, 1600x1050, 6ms, VGA/DVI, 700:1)

gaming purposes obviously

got this a few days ago, love it to bits :) highly reccomend it

Advertisement