Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congratulations to the Gardai

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

ROE is correct, Ive read back over my post and what i had written is incorrect but not what i intended. I meant to explain that they would wait fire under orders, but obviously if things dont go according to plan, in that split second that he drops shotgun, pulls pistol from his waistband (hypothetical!) then SOPs would automatically take over, defence of your life or that of a colleagues,etc would then take precendence over previous "fire on my command" type orders.

I still think that with abbeylara and donegal still fresh in their minds, the ERU and gardai were desperate to appear light handed in this situation and in an effort to win over public support and under new guidelines since abbeylara they deployed non lethal armanent and then tried a non fatal disabling shot probably because

A. he had 2 licenced firearms so they knew which one he'd kept and its effectiveness

B. He had a shotgun, at most double barrelled for clay pigeon shooting so he was limited to 2 shots.

So there was a window of opportunity that if everyone is behind reasonable cover they could try to take him down by injuring and disabling him. also did you never think, a shot to either shoulder and he wont be able to hold the shotgun up to aim it.

Personally I think that at most the sniper was across the street so head bobbing etc at close range wouldnt have made too much of a difference. I think it was a good shot and they executed the job well. But thats only my opinion and i like everyone wait to see the official report.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

The Garda that shot him shot to kill, not to wound. Many peoples lives were in danger and that man needed to be taken out and killed. Its called justifiable homicide and the garda in question would have aimed for the largest target, the torso.

If you make the decision to shoot somebody you shoot to kill because the danger is so great that lethal force is necessary. Its just lucky that this guy survived.

Very well handled by the Gardai at the scene in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Chief--- wrote:
    The Garda that shot him shot to kill, not to wound. Many peoples lives were in danger and that man needed to be taken out and killed. Its called justifiable homicide and the garda in question would have aimed for the largest target, the torso.

If you make the decision to shoot somebody you shoot to kill because the danger is so great that lethal force is necessary. Its just lucky that this guy survived.

Very well handled by the Gardai at the scene in my opinion.

as far as we've been told, anyway the use of less-lethal weapons by the ERU is welcome, even if it they need more practice with them.

re helterskelter rte spent most of their interviews the day after asking about conflicting statements (they over did it I think) I think helter was prefectly right to bring that up.

Advertisement