Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding present ideas please

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

I absolutely hate to give cash as a present at all cost. I feel if some one wants me at their wedding to celebrate the day great but I'm not to be invited just to bring an envelope with cash.
    I have on occasion given prize bonds and a token gift where I had been really stuck for what to buy.
    I usually buy luxury items.

As we have seen some people still give presents - some people hate to give them as it's too much hassle to go and buy one so give the cash.
    So for those that are going to buy a present why not take the why did they buy that or why do I have 48 crystal glasses or what ever it out of the equation and create a wedding list.
    I am sure like me that there are a lot of nice items you would like in your house but don't feel justified to go out and just buy them,
    the watch Idea from one poster was nice, why not pick out two luxury watches at a local jewelers and have people contribute to it or something else. say your going to the US on honeymoon dollars or the likes.

I have a few friends who have gotten married who are glad of some presents as they can look around the house and see what they got. I have seen many a present I have gotten in full use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wedding Films Ireland

How about a case of wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

That's a great idea. Even 6 bottles of really good wine. I'd appreciate that no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Anfield legends

Surely in this day an age,every bride and groon would prefer cash,its such an expensive day for the couple,tis all money money money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Surely in this day an age,every bride and groon would prefer cash,its such an expensive day for the couple,tis all money money money!!

I'd say most would prefer cash alright. It'd certainly be welcome to us. But having said that, we're not relying on cash gifts to pay for the wedding, would just be a nice start off for us. I think if someone went to the trouble of buying a gift it'd be nice to keep (although our flat is tiny and is already filled with frames we got as engagement presents!). I do sympathise with previous poster who received the 48 glasses etc. Good god that's a lot of crystal :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭emarfrog

I don't care what people give us or if they give us anything at all! But this is just a personal thing, I hate coats of arms! I have a really common surname and so does my future husband, we won't be the first X and Y to get married, nor will we be the last! In addition some of them look awful. I saw one that was etched into a mirror; what a waste of a perfectly good mirror! Ok rant over. (This rant was driven by fear that knowing my luck I'll get 10 of them and it'll be such a shocking waste for the kind and thoughtful intentions of those who gave them!) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

My gosh some of the suggestions in this thread are awful. Why bother with vouchers these days - sure the place you buy it could go out of business tomorrow.

Cash all the way. I normally hate giving cash as a present for xmas, birthdays and i never do - but weddings are different.

I'm getting married next year and honestly couldn't care less if every guest brought nothing but themselves. However it i get any presents there's a 99% chance they won't ever by used, won't be to our taste etc. If i received some of the things mentioned on this thread it'd go straight in the bin.

So IMHO cash or nothing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Literally just got invited to a wedding this evening - totally unexpected, but I'm delighted, it's an old friend from school.

Two of us are going to buy the present together - I'm thinking a budget of €500 is about as far as we can stretch combined, and the wedding will be my summer holiday next year effectively.

Want to get a really, really unusual present for them. Saw the champagne balloon ride idea on a website earlier and think it might be cool, but have a few months to settle on a final idea.

We want to get them something really memorable though, something that they will love, but might not get for themselves. I know everyone uses (and needs) cash, but it's impersonal, and I really want to get them something special, as the girl in question is one of the loveliest people you could ever meet, and some treat to look forward to after the madness of preparing for the wedding and the honeymoon has settled, and they're back to the normal hum-drum might be nice.

Am I being totally unrealistic? I could always get them 48 mis-matched crystal tumblers... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Literally just got invited to a wedding this evening - totally unexpected, but I'm delighted, it's an old friend from school.

Two of us are going to buy the present together - I'm thinking a budget of €500 is about as far as we can stretch combined, and the wedding will be my summer holiday next year effectively.

Want to get a really, really unusual present for them. Saw the champagne balloon ride idea on a website earlier and think it might be cool, but have a few months to settle on a final idea.

We want to get them something really memorable though, something that they will love, but might not get for themselves. I know everyone uses (and needs) cash, but it's impersonal, and I really want to get them something special, as the girl in question is one of the loveliest people you could ever meet, and some treat to look forward to after the madness of preparing for the wedding and the honeymoon has settled, and they're back to the normal hum-drum might be nice.

Am I being totally unrealistic? I could always get them 48 mis-matched crystal tumblers... ;)

Holy Moley - are you seriously considering spending 500 euros??? Madness! You could get them a holiday for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

If you're spending €500 then you could get them a weekend away somewhere really nice, how about a trip to Monart? It's got an amazing spa and the hotel is just beautiful!

I wouldn't be mad keen on a balloon ride to be honest because (a) if they are scared of heights, (b) they might not like the idea, (c) trying to organise a balloon ride can be difficult due to the bad weather (my mom got my dad a pressie of a balloon ride before and they had to reschedule it 3 or 4 times because of the weather - in the end they didn't bother).

Advertisement