Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camcoder to laptop

Options
  • 09-10-2006 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

:confused: Hi,

Can anyone help me out on this. I have a Samsung VP-W80 camcoder and I am trying to transfer footage from the 8mm tapes to my laptop which is a Dell Inspiron 6000. I have no idea how do to this, can anyone advise. Camcorder does not have a USB port only S Video port. Also if this can be done how do i edit footage. Step by step guidance and simple lingo if possible please.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭andy1249

OK , had a look at the specs for your camcorder and it has no digital out , only analog ,
    Now most laptops have an s video port but they are usually only an output so that is no good to you.

What you need is a USB capture device , like this ,

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304757

or this

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309477

This will allow you to grab the video from your camera , and then you can edit it on your laptop.

To get audio and sound use the yellow RCA jack for video and the White or red ( or both ) RCA jacks for sound. S video only does video , usually there is no sound.
    You plug them from your camcorder into the capture device , open up the software for your capture device , set it to 720 x 576 ( pal ... standard TV res ) , press capture in the software and play on the camcorder and let the content play into your PC.

When you are done you should have a big file , or many smaller files , depending on how you shot , and then you can edit in movie maker or better still use whatever software comes with the capture cards. Usually the end result is then sent to a DVD or VCD , thats your choice.

All this of course is assuming that you dont have some kind of video capture on your laptop already , most dont ! ( some have firewire but alas your camera doesnt so it makes no difference )

Advertisement