Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uneven fat around the body

• 09-10-2006 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a relatively thin lad in his 20s who, after staying the same weight for the last 3 years or so, has found himself with a small bit of extra weight over the past year.

I've noticed no real difference in my appearence at all, until recently. I found a bit of fat around the manboobage area. Previously I've haven't had much definition here in muscle or fat form. That was all well and grand until I noticed the other side of me around the same area had no difference. Puzzled. Now I know the body isn't the most symmetrical of things but this seems a little off?

It feels different to the touch. As in, when running my hang from stomach up I can feel it raise in height reaching this area and a definite difference from the other side, which feels like it always did. To look at, it's not as noticeable. As a lad with no real definition in his chest, to find one side having changed quite a bit from what it was for the past few years compared to other side seeming the same isn't the greatest discovery in the world. Is this a usual thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not sure if its normal or not but you could get some tips to lose it if its worrying you, in the Fitness forum under the Rec menu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do you diet and workout? If not, start. Oh, diet doesn't mean starve, it means balanced foods. Check out a food chart. If your concerns continue, see a GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry, I got my point across wrong. The weight isn't an issue to me at all. I'd still consider myself a bit under my ideal weight and it's not something you'd notice visually unless you were looking for it.

It's simply that one side has developed and the other hasn't. I'm just wondering has anyone ever noticed such an imbalance in fat storage in terms of left and right in their bodies or is usually quite balanced? I guess this is more for people who had very little fat before and are finding themselves with a bit of extra weight. I don't think people who've grown up with meatier bodies would've noticed as much (though any thoughts are welcome).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Is it soft to the touch?
    Have your nipples become tender?
    I need to know because my friend had a similar problem last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It's most likely nothing. The correct exercise approach should help even you out so to speak. You're probably just trying to get reassurance that it's not potentially a medical problem. To put your mind at rest, it's probably worth going and getting your doc's opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What texture is it? Is it soft and pliable like normal fat, or is it a bit more firm? What kind of diameter are you talking about? (Like, is it just a small mound, or is it a big one?) How did you notice it, the first time?

It's quite common for women to have one breast bigger than the other, but I've never heard of similar in men.

I'd get it checked out by your GP. It's probably nothing, but it's better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yep, just looking for reassurance that it's not a common as muck thing before seeing a GP. I guess the replys so far have confirmed its not. Thanks.

Bicky: I guess it's soft, yep. But I'm still quite lean and if I press down I can feel the rib underneath. But there's nothing firm there or anything and there's not much to press down on. Nipples are the same as always.

Faith: Can't feel any firmness but I'm not used to fat in this area so can't say if it's usual. It's not round exactly. If you can imagine a typical male pec, it's the underside area and seems to have fattened very slightly in a curving shape from near the armpit out, just under where the muscle area would take shape (if I had much muscle there) almost following the shape of a rib. I mention it's under the muscle because I thought it was the muscle itself at first (then copped on that I do s.f.a. exercise). Because I've been pretty flat chested (in guy terms) before from lack of muscle definition or fat I wouldn't be linking it to gynecomastia or anything.

Advertisement