Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Rifle????

Options
  • 09-10-2006 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Looking to get my first rifle have around 800 euro to spend whats the best package i could get for that price eg. rifle scope etc. i have permission to use land to shoot on but as i live in dublin city will this make it harder to get a licence??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What do you want to shoot with the rifle? Are you talking bunny-hunting or deer-hunting or gallery rifle or ISSF air rifle or class F benchrest or what?

(and no, living in the city doesn't make it that much harder to get the licence).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 eirekev

eirekev wrote:
    Looking to get my first rifle have around 800 euro to spend whats the best package i could get for that price eg. rifle scope etc. i have permission to use land to shoot on but as i live in dublin city will this make it harder to get a licence??
    im looking to go shooting rabits and small vermin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Well ..for that , something like a CZ 452 .22Lr will serve you well.

If you plan to use a telescopic sight on it , don't get something with a drooping stock or "Hogsback" as your head will need to be too high to sight properly.

CZ_452_2E_ZKM_STANDARD.jpg&width=450

Notice the rear of the stock ...

CZ_452_2E_ZKM_SILHOUETTE.jpg&width=450

I have one of these , excellent accuracy, and well within your budget.
    Good enough for informal target shooting too.I have never seen a bad one .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

i am looking to start rifle shooting soon, and was thinking about getting the gun mentioned above this is the cheapest place i have seen it.

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_25&products_id=30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Aye, you can't go wrong with a CZ in .22lr for a starter rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

CZ is defenitely the way to go they make the best value guns out there.

If your going to scope it then you'll want the straight comb and depending on your preferences theres the american, varmint, style or sillouette.

I recently brought a few things from shoot.ie and found him very easy to deal with and very quick response.

For a scope theres tonnes out there buy the best you can afford worry about this when you get the rifle. Also get good mounts.

The other thing is what calbire you want. you have the internet so ill let you do your own research. For a first rifle id stick to rimfire guns.

Theres 4 types
    .22lr - most popular and cheapest to shoot wide range of loads available for it and can be used in alot of different target disiplines. Range is aroun 90yards and good for shooting bunnies also can be made pretty much silent. Only disadvantage is the tradjectoy is abit curvy.

.22wmr - basically a lr with a bit more punch range is 150yards better round if your going to be taking foxes as alot more knock down power slighty more expensive for ammo but for hunting shouldnt be a problem.

.17hm2 - not a very popular round over here seems to me the perfect bunnie round dont know to much about it its cheap enough and very flat tradjectory.

.17hmr - much longer range and flatest tradjectory out there will reach to 200yards can take foxes also up to 100yards. Will be meat loss though unless you choot them in the head.

ammo prices
    22lr around €3-8 PER 50 depending on quaility and load
    22wmr €12 or €16 premiers per 50 (premiers are very fast load and problem best killing power out of any rimfire round out there)
    17hmr i think €12-16 again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moby10

yeah i use this rifle, i shoot a couple of thousand bunnies a year and i have to say i dont think that you will get a better gun for your money. i bought my first one in pat o briens in bray for €400(without the scope) two years ago and changed it for a synthetic stock version just recently in courtlough.
    i traded my one in but as far as i can remember he was selling the gun, scope, sound moderator, and legs for just under €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

moby10 wrote:
    i shoot a couple of thousand bunnies a year
    :eek: Thats a lot of wabbits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moby10

i know i will never get to heaven:o i should say that i am one of three and we shoot a couple of golf courses and surrounding farms so in fairness i will split that figure three ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

demonloop wrote:
    :eek: Thats a lot of wabbits!
    Not any more it isn't :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

.22lr - most popular and cheapest to shoot wide range of loads available for it and can be used in alot of different target disiplines. Range is aroun 90yards and good for shooting bunnies also can be made pretty much silent. Only disadvantage is the tradjectoy is abit curvy.
    I don't know where you get the 90 yards from. I regularly shoot 100 yard targets (10 ring is about 1" in diameter) with standard velocity 22 target ammunition (about €10/100) albeit with a target rifle, but I've also used the same targets to set up my sporting rifle and have no problem hitting the ten ring regularly.

It's all about how you set your sights up. If you know your sights well, you should be able to make range changes very quickly. Many scopes come with graduation changes for different distances for just that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

do ye shoot at those distances regulary

i can get up to 20 yards to take a shot
    am i missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

At 100 yards, your average match rifle will be holding 1"-2" groups with average match ammunition like Lapua Master or Eley Match. The deciding factor for group size at that range is still very much the shooter's skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I just made an estimate at the effective range obviously the bullet does not just stop dead after 90yards but for a standard .22lr i think 90 yards is about right for hunting anyway.

A 22wmr can be shot up to 200yards as well but the groups start opening up likewise people shoot .17hmrs at 300yards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

again a rabbit at 300 yards
    if you cant get within a 100 you need help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

maglite wrote:
    again a rabbit at 300 yards
    if you cant get within a 100 you need help

Very hard to get within 100yrds down this neck of the woods ..........the bunnies are very clever :cool: .

Some bunnies in/around Limerick are reputedly wearing flak jackets :D.

Advertisement