Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need lawnmower

Options
  • 09-10-2006 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

I need to get a petrol lawnmower but dont no much about, what do i need to look out for, are the more expensive ones better or does that matter... good sized garden in average semi d :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

What have you been using up to now? Kinda wrong time of year for buying one, although they might be discounted?
    Not much growth in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

we only got turf laid at the end of august but its grown quiet high ,the dude who laid it said dont cut it till next year, but its very long.......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I was in Homebase in Derry earlier and was looking at a petrol lawnmower. It had a 15" blade and was selling for £129. That would be approx. €180 if they have them in their stores in the Dublin area. It seemed like a good deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ii bought a 15" in Argos 3 years ago and it still starts first time - even first time in spring. It's got a Briggs & Stratton engine which seem to get good reviews. I also have a hedge trimmer and a strimmer with Briggs & Stratton engines - a bit difficult to start in spring (2 strokes) but fine after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

jazoo wrote:
    we only got turf laid at the end of august but its grown quiet high ,the dude who laid it said dont cut it till next year, but its very long.......

Probably didn't want to disturb the snakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

anything with a Briggs & Stratton or Tecumseh engine will last for years if maintained regularly. Try to get one with an aluminium body.

I have a Tecumseh one I boughtr in Woodies 9yrs ago, still going strong.

The collection box is also hard plastic and not fabric, so it makes it a lot easier to empty and clean out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The aluminium bodies are good but expensive. Normally rust problems start underneath where the grass is left caked on. If you buy a cheap mower, a good tip is to paint this area with a good metal paint such as Hammerite or Triflow as soon as you get it and before it is used for the first time. Take a good look around there must be plenty of places selling off stock now. I seem to remember Ganly's Hardware in Athlone having good value in a Honda mower this time last year.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Edit. Double post.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement