Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galway pubs/resteraunts/activities

Options
  • 10-10-2006 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

im from dublin and going to galway with the missus for the first time a few weekends from now..

what i would like from you galwegians is tips on the the best pubs/resteraunts and activities that we can go to/get up to.

thanks in advance

gar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭sgthighway

To Eat: I was in Cactus Jacks the last day for the first time and enjoyed it.
    http://www.cactusjacks.ie/galway/index.php
    To Drink: Too many bars in Galway topick from. It depends what you drink, what music you listen too, What age you are???
    Activities: You say a few weekends.....if its the Bank Holiday Weekend; the International Rules game is on. So when are coming down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

16th to 19th november (thurs to sun)

like all sorts of music, 25 years old, drink guinness and lager

Definitely go to CP's on the Thursday night.It has classy birds.
    Pubs:I would recommend the berhaus,living room and kings head.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭sgthighway

There should be a big gang from Dundalk down that weekend for the top of the table clash in Terryland @ 7:45pm on the Saturday Night.

If your bringing your bird; nevermind CPs; go to the Living Room for the late drinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

never mind the missus, ill check out cp's, you can look but cant touch.

thanks for the tips so far

gar

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

admiralgar wrote:
    never mind the missus, ill check out cp's, you can look but cant touch.

thanks for the tips so far

gar

I'm in Galway city on holidays at the moment, can I give you one bit of advice? Run from Cactus Jacks, run run run and don't look back. The service is great and the staff are lovely, but the food is poor to fair at best.

Kirbys on Cross street now, would be a place I would wholeheartedly recommend, especially the beef fillet.

On that note, does anyone know of anywhere in the city which serves cocktails??!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Silverfish wrote:
    On that note, does anyone know of anywhere in the city which serves cocktails??!!
    The Skeff. But it serves them in the hen party style. That is to say in a pitcher to uniformed hordes of screeching harridans.

Robbo wrote:
    The Skeff. But it serves them in the hen party style. That is to say in a pitcher to uniformed hordes of screeching harridans.

Ah, so they might refuse me and my boyfriend due to lack of L-plates and shrieking? Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Cactus Jacks is the worst resturant in the town !!!
    staff are terrible the food is worse and it's the only place i've ever been server a medium steak that was still blue !!!! and cold..and did I mention it arrived 15 minutes after everyone else had their main tut tut...stay clear.
    check out Thai Garden (Great food...service is a bit poor but it very reasonable)..Mac Swiggans has fantastic food but is more like a pub.
    Nimos is great too but very expensive. Not a fan of the Lemon Grass either.
    Blakes is good but expensive, Kirbys is nice...mmmm I 'm hungry now gotto go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

For a really nice resteraunt you can't beat Oscars. Superb food and service. Don't O'Flaherty's (Great Southern) do cocktails? No idea if their any good tbh.

The Skeff ( as yis call it!!) did well for the cocktails.

Unfortunately I'm back in Dublin now, and we don't have a Kirby's up here. We do, however, have a Cactus Jacks. So, in conclusion, there is no justice in this world.

Advertisement