Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random eircom winback abuse

Options
  • 05-10-2006 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

There's a horrible "Service Announcement" in the Irish Independant.

It goes a little something like this,
    "
    Eircom are providing Smart customers with service for the next 2 weeks (bless them). An order needs to be placed now with Eircom (or another company).

Freephone eircom (if you still can) on ....etc.. etc.
    "

Made my blood boil it did. I could almost get up off my arse and complain, if only we had a decent regulator.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

limey_tank wrote:

"
    Eircom are providing Smart customers with service for the next 2 weeks (bless them). An order needs to be placed now with Eircom (or another company).

"

Made my blood boil it did. I could almost get up off my arse and complain, if only we had a decent regulator.
    I saw that in The Sun too. Not my paper, I hasten to add ;) Yeah, it did make me feel angry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

clohamon wrote:
    Just got propositioned on a business line by Imagine. Asked if I was a former Smart customer.

Former? Who said anything about "FORMER" ? :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Former? Who said anything about "FORMER" ? :D

That's what the lady said.

(Outgoing voice calls are now restored)

clohamon wrote:
    That's what the lady said.

(Outgoing voice calls are now restored)

It's amazing how everybody was under the assumption that all Smart customers had jumped ship.

It's only further evidence in the proof that, "That was Eir***s intention from the outset."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 strangelove

eircom are evil, plain and simple.

you call 1901 and bounce arround for hours.
    so here is the head office in dublin number 1800 671 4444, call during business hours and get to talk to a real person, though who knows if they even care but it made me feel better after i got her to send a internal complaint to the limerick office.

got them to get limerick office to call me so I b***h at them, but they rely piss me off
    when i found what they tried to pull

• Advertisement

If Smart do come through this & release a press statement? I really hope that as many people that want a great BB service will flock over to them. That will help to ensure their continued success (Without using the FOTS tactics)

In fact, if right was right? this should do more damage to the other shower in the long-term. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

It's amazing how everybody was under the assumption that all Smart customers had jumped ship.

Even Smart think that, my mother was just thanked for going back to Smart even though we never left, we were just disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

limey_tank wrote:

"

"

Heard this on Newstalk twice in a half hour - talk about kicking a dog when he's down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

That's pretty unreal... I'm a recentish Smart customer, didn't know there was anything serious wrong (except the phone had gone down intermittently for a week or two - almost never use it anyway)... then got an email from them saying they'd doubled my connection speed from 3mbit to 6mbit down till December as a show of good faith, which was nice, since I'd had no problem with the broadband...

Compare this with eircom's completely unscrupulous tactics - pretty vicious really.
    I'm thinking I'll keep my mobile to hand, ready to act as a (brutal) tape recorder if the winback-slime come knocking.

Can't say I'm surprised to hear that Comreg have succeeded in doing nothing as usual...

Oisín

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jward

zynaps wrote:
    That's pretty unreal... I'm a recentish Smart customer, didn't know there was anything serious wrong (except the phone had gone down intermittently for a week or two - almost never use it anyway)... then got an email from them saying they'd doubled my connection speed from 3mbit to 6mbit down till December as a show of good faith, which was nice, since I'd had no problem with the broadband...

Compare this with eircom's completely unscrupulous tactics - pretty vicious really.
    I'm thinking I'll keep my mobile to hand, ready to act as a (brutal) tape recorder if the winback-slime come knocking.

Can't say I'm surprised to hear that Comreg have succeeded in doing nothing as usual...

Oisín

You're lucky, I'm having terrible trouble. I posted this to another forum but I'll repost it here.
    I've already disclosed that I am/was (not sure which) a Smart Telecom customer.

I am not a fan of eircom but in the last couple of days these tactics have cemented that viewpoint.
    1. I had a complete service until last Wednesday afternoon. Then I was shutdown. This was after ComReg had agreed an interim solution with eircom to provide a service for 2 weeks. eircom are therefore still disconnecting customers and ignoring the agreement.
    2. An eircom sales person knocked on my door on Thursday. He knew I was a Smart Customer, and then also knocked on my neighbours door (also a smart customer). They are not supposed to know what provider I'm with as its against the regulations.
    3. The same eircom sales person told us that we were being disconnected in 2 days. This FUD is being used despite the 2 week agreement in place. He also told us that it would take 4 weeks for another provider and eircom would connect us immediately. Unfortunately the last sentence is probably true.
    I contacted ComReg to inform them of this. It seems there are a lot of similar complaints.

John

To reconnect to Smart I had to go through 3rd Party Verification again. My number has been sent to eircom for reconnection and they're waiting for that to happen. It nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This 3rd party verification is a credit agency where you get credit checked , is it not ??

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Sponge Bob wrote:
    This 3rd party verification is a credit agency where you get credit checked , is it not ??

No, Third Party Verification [TPV] is a Sign-Up code of practice where the customer uses an IVR, - Integrated Voice Recording, system of scripts to agree a service and contract with an operator.

Industry agreed the scripts, regular anti-slamming practices apply.

TPV was introducted under the 2000 ECommerce act, by ComReg with the support of the Department of Enterprise Trade and Employment.

TPV is clashing somewhat the EU distance selling regs/law.

Tom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

where is this data stored and for how long , I do not recall seeing it mentioned in the CPS Code of Practice either ...not that I have any problem with a voice contract being recorded as it is agreed ????

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Sponge Bob wrote:
    where is this data stored and for how long , I do not recall seeing it mentioned in the CPS Code of Practice either ...not that I have any problem with a voice contract being recorded as it is agreed ????

Its separate, but an agreed code.

Storage is undertaken within regulations laid down by the Data Protection Commission. Usually for 6 months, after that personal data is made anonymous.

TPV Code Issued 2 24/10/02.

This document was presented to the CPS committee on the 28th Feb 2002.

The TPV Code of Practice relates solely to the use of TPV and is in addition to the requirements already outlined in the Carrier Pre Selection Services Code of Practice. The Carrier Pre Selection Services Code of Practice will be amended to reflect any changes that are needed as a result of the introduction of TPV.

All definitions given are as per the Carrier Pre Selection Services Code of Practice with the following addition:

"Third Party Verification" is an independent means of verifying a customer’s consent and obtaining the customer information required to submit a change to CPS service. It is conducted via the telephone, with a recording of the call serving as a record of the customer’s consent.

Advertisement