Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No patience

Options
  • 10-10-2006 9:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question. I kindof already know the answer to this but I wanted to know what peoples experiences were.

Im 5 days late and took a pregnancy test on day 2 and this morning first thing. Both were negative. I was pregnant before and I’m sure it showed up before now.
    Has this happened to anyone before and when was it that it showed up? Im never late..ever...and so either Im pregnant or somethings wrong. I think Im pregnant – at least Im hoping I am – the alternative is a bit worrisome.
    But why isint it showing up if I am?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yup I have had a false negative with home kits I have also had a false positive.
    They do have a window of error. I would give it another two days and after that if you don't come up positive or have not had your period I would suggest that you go to see your dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Well.. I first tested 4 days before my period was due with a First Response kit (its supposed to work 4 days before your period is due) but I got a negative. I tested AGAIN on the day my period was due with the same brand - negative.

I KNEW I was pregnant though, so I did a Clearblue Digital later that day that my period was due, and I got a positive result. Thinking I was cracking up, that SAME day, I did another First Response test - it was POSITIVE and the ling was STRONG pink in colour.. it was about 6 hours since I'd done the initial First Response test on that day!!

There are margins for error... the sensitivity of pregnancy tests vary wildly. If you think you are pregnant, if you really feel you are, chance are you probably are.... I just "knew" I was pregnant before I ever did a test. Are you having any symptoms?

Best of luck - hope you get the result you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My wife was 2 weeks late and had taken some home tests and all were negative. But 13 days after her LMP one showed positive - so did the one the next day. Apparently, the best time to test is with the first 'wee' of the morning.

I'm of the opinion that the early detection testers are not as accurate as the manufacturers would like us to think.

Just as an aside...

http://www.peeonastick.com/hptfaq.html << This link has loads of info on taking home pregnancy tests... how they work, how early you can test, what time of days best to test. It will tell you about the likelyhood of false positives and false negatives (false positives are a lot rarer than false negatives).... any questions you could conceiveably (excuse the pun) have will be answered there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

My mother-in-law was showing up on pregnancy tests as negative right up until she gave birth, some times they don't work at all, if you are worried go to your gp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well the trigger horrormoan that the pee on a stick tests are designed to react to is only present up until the first 3 months.

My mother-in-law was showing up on pregnancy tests as negative right up until she gave birth, some times they don't work at all, if you are worried go to your gp.

If you do a pregnancy test after your 15th week of pregnancy, it will usually turn show up negative, as the hCG hormone (which home test kits detect) starts to dissipate in the body. The hormone is only produced in early pregnancy. This is why it is often said that, if you suspect you are pregnant, you should test as early as possible - most tests will give you a result when your period is even only 1 day late. Some will even give you a positive result up to 4 days before your period is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

You would expect that 5-days post your period being due, that if you were pregnant you would test positive. I would try a different brand and if its still negative think about going to the doc. There lots of reasons why you would miss a period, other than being pg (stress, tiredness, drug interactions, sudden weight loss/gain etc . . . your doc should do a complete blood work-up to check you out)

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Five days late is late not to show up on a pee on stick test. Definitely worth trying a different brand. AFAIK, the ones at the doctors are less senstitive (or rather they require you to be a bit further along) because they don't want to tell you you're pregnant unless they're sure.

Advertisement