Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox Oil

Options
  • 10-10-2006 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

I have had a problem with my Gearbox grinding into third gear since I got my car over a year a go. Its a 93 Integra and I've been told this is a common problem with them and that Synchro is probably worn.

To get the gearbox rebuilt it'll cost at least 600e, does anyone else have any experience with this? I've read on a few sites that changing the Gearbox oil to BG Syncroshift could sort out the problem but the only place you seem to be able to get this is in the US and it'd cost over 100e for shipping alone. Does anyone know of a similar product on sale here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

changing the oil will probably work for a while if you want to sell the car.
    Best is try a scrap yard like Traynors, Kilcock and find a second-hand one.
    It might work out cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The only oil that'll suit your gearbox 100% is Honda MTF-2, which you can get from a Honda dealer at about 7.50 a litre. Bring your own container as the dealers get it in drums.

Honda gearboxes are very tough and I've found the only reason gears grind is that the wrong oil is in there, most likely from a driveshaft having been removed to replace a CV joint.

I was having difficulty with 2nd gear, especially in the cold when at times it wouldn't even go into 2nd. A drain and refill with MTF-2 sorted it.

Also make sure you've enough clutch fluid.

Advertisement