Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skype - Any way to call 1890 numbers?

• 10-10-2006 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am trying to call a lo-call 1890 number via Skype but get the "Invalid Number" error. Does anyone know if it is possible to call Irish 1890 or indeed 1800/1850 numbers via Skype?

Cheers,
    jAH

edit: I should mention the obvious just in case - I am using SkypeOut

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

jArgHA wrote:
    Hi

I am trying to call a lo-call 1890 number via Skype but get the "Invalid Number" error. Does anyone know if it is possible to call Irish 1890 or indeed 1800/1850 numbers via Skype?

Cheers,
    jAH

edit: I should mention the obvious just in case - I am using SkypeOut
    I don't think you can call these numbers from outside Ireland.

For example, if you dial +353 1890 123456, you'll be put through to whoever owns the Dublin number 8901234.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just got this off skype

How do I dial toll-free numbers (+1-800, +1-866 and +1-877 number series)?

The following countries and number ranges are supported and are free of charge to all users. We're working on the rest of the world.

* France: +33 800, +33 805, +33 809
    * Poland: +48 800
    * UK: +44 500, +44 800, +44 808
    * USA: +1 800, +1 866, +1 877, +1 888

You can even call these number even if you do not have SkypeOut credit! For help dialing toll-free and other number please see our

link http://support.skype.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

But 1800 numbers don't overlap with "normal" numbers. 1890 numbers do.

The Telestunt number is 1890 943 123. If you dial 8909431 you'll get through a company called NCR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

ok thanks for the heads up. it would be nice if Skype could include prefixes for Irish toll-free/lo-call numbers.

hate having to call 1890 numbers on my speakeasy mobile, was trying to book a driver theory test today and got cut off as I was just about to complete the booking due to lack of credit (and the slowness of the muppet entering my details..)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Vagabondo

Hate these numbers too. Try THIS link. It might work for some. And don't forget to share.
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Sky customer service has a 0818 number and i used to be able to ring with Skype but the last time i couldn't use it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

thekooman wrote: »
    Sky customer service has a 0818 number and i used to be able to ring with Skype but the last time i couldn't use it at all.

Slightly off topic but it may be of use. Have a look here...
    www.saynoto0870.com/

Also

http://www.valueireland.com/2009/04/say-no-to-1890-1850-and-0818-call-costs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

May not be of any use but do 1890 numbers only work in Ireland. I know there are some at least anyways where 1890 numbers will not work in England and an alternative number is provided (International rates I assume) e.g lifted from Revenue:

Revenue Online Service & PAYE anytime
    To make enquires about efiling or epaying : Lo-Call 1890 20 11 06 or +353 1 7023021 for callers outside the Republic of Ireland.

An alternative number should always be provided afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

As Foxwood pointed out in post 2, 1890 cannot be called outside of Ireland, as they overlap Dublin numbers. Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 josmas

Hi all, I've just tried that with an ESB 1850 and didn't work, but they also have an international number that it is reachable from skype so that got me sorted!

good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

josmas wrote: »
    they also have an international number that it is reachable from skype so that got me sorted!

It is +353 1 852 9534.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

For the benefit of anyone starting out in VOIP telephony it should be pointed out that Blueface handles ALL Irish numbers, including 1850,1890, 0818 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ShayMurphy459

Does anybody have an update on how to dial out to Irish 1890 and 1800 numbers from Skype? It would be nice not to have to use my mobile minutes waiting for customer support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

I am almost certain that any 1890 numbers do not work outside of Ireland so there has to be an international number provided too. For example I googled 1890 outside of republic and first link was welfare.ie. In this page
    Telephone 1890 690 690

If calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call + 353 74 9164491

Edit; I have already contributed to this thread, do not rem that :(
    Double Edit; to the day since I last contributed too, spooky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beckysneads

Does it means that calling toll free phone numbers using Skype is supported on some countries only?

Can anyone please post the listing of supported countries Skype can FREELY call for toll free numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Vagabondo wrote: »
    Hate these numbers too. Try THIS link. It might work for some. And don't forget to share.
    Regards

You're a legend. Thanks for saving me a few bob. Was looking at my meteor bill today and was wondering why it was higher than usual. Didn't realise those 1890 numbers were so expensive. Locall my backside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Vagabondo wrote: »
    Regards
    Worked fine for me, I had two 1890 Digiweb numbers on my mobile, one for tech support and one for customer care, last time I phoned them it cost me over a tenner, but through your link I got the alternative number, just tried it and it doesn't just get me through to Digiweb, it also gives me options, as in dial 1 for installation queries, 2 for customer care, 3 for tech support etc.
    Cheers for the link. I'll share it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Encoste

Regards

Vagabondo

Thanks a million. As an expat that site is an absolute lifesaver! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Comreg choose these numbers, but in my honest opinion, there should be a non geographic number like 02 in the uk that's charged at normal rates.

And changing the 1 in 1890 to 0890 as it affects mobile prefixes..

Ahh comreg...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Irish website might be of use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It is though..

Advertisement