Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats is Big 4 Sauce?

Options
  • 10-10-2006 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been a observer here for quite some time now and thought this would be the
    best place to ask. The Title of the post says it all does anybody out there know
    what is Big 4 Sauce? Is it a sauce that can be just bought off the shelf in tesco or
    is it some mixture of other sauces that only one person in the back to the four Lanterns knows how to make? I would love to get it to use at home but need
    to know what to get :confused: .

Many thanks,
    Derek.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

derekh wrote:
    Hi All,

I've been a observer here for quite some time now and thought this would be the
    best place to ask. The Title of the post says it all does anybody out there know
    what is Big 4 Sauce? Is it a sauce that can be just bought off the shelf in tesco or
    is it some mixture of other sauces that only one person in the back to the four Lanterns knows how to make? I would love to get it to use at home but need
    to know what to get :confused: .

Many thanks,
    Derek.

if they told you what was in it they'd have to kill you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd hazard a guess that thousand Island dressing is the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I heard a rumour that it was ketchup and mayonaisse mixed together, but I don't think there's even an ounce of truth in that. You can buy portions of Big 4 sauce in a little cup. You could hoard them in your fridge to use at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

pffft... big 4 sauce...

the snackbox is where its at...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

By Big4 Sauce, I presume it's the pink stuff, which is basically just Ketchup and Mayonnaise, though they may add another flavour to it also. I think the right name for it is Marie Rose sauce, to which there is a recipe:

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/22900/marie-rose-sauce.html

Though, I just use Ketchup and mayo for my DIY sauce. Does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Excellent stuff,

I have had thousand island dressing but I don't think it is the same stuff,
    its just too bitter. Ketchup and Mayonnaise was missing something, so fingers
    crossed the extra ingredients added for the Marie Rose Sauce might make all the
    difference. I'll try it out and see how it goes, I'll let ye know how it goes.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Of course, even using Ketchup and Mayo alone, the taste will vary depending particularly on the brand of Ketchup used.

Advertisement