Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skim Boarding ?

Options
  • 10-10-2006 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I know this isnt exactly surfing but theyre closely related so ill try here.

Am considering getting myelf and the bro a pair of boards but I have a few questions before I buy them -
    Anyone here ever gone skim boarding before ?
    How is Ireland for skim boarding - are the condiions on average OK ?
    Is the whole balancing act with skimboarding going to help my balance with my surfing or are the stances etc too different ?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Any steep beach that gets a bit of swell should have a good enough shorebreak for skimboarding. I don't know of any off-hand in waterford. You can still have a bit of a laugh in flat conditions though.

I reckon it can't hurt your surfing too much. Might hurt you though! It's a lot easier to injure yourself skimboarding than it is surfing. Be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Cheers Enygma, Yeah I had a feeling it could be a bit more dangerous cos of the shallower water.

Have one or two posible beaches in mind for it here (stradbally mainly for anyone from this area).

The reason i'm enquiring is 'cos i'm heading out to Qatar with work for a year or so and I hear theres no surf out there, so i'm looking for something to keep my hand in.

Anyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dap75au

It is so easy to fall on your wrist skimboarding, I'd recomend wearing a couple of those skateboard wrist guards, I know it will look a bit gimpy though. There's some deadly vid clips on the net of guys doing shove its, airs and getting little tubes,
    d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Saw some really good footage of guys skimboardng on the Newport wedge there before. Probably on YouTube somewhere.

The videos on youtube are class - makes it look simple though. :(
    Id rather look like a gimp than fuck myself up - cheers for the heads up !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SideshowBob

and wear something on your knees - the sand will cut them to pieces. And your arse as well for that matter. I'm talking from very painful experience!! Been skim boarding since the end of August roughly, it's addictive but v sore when you land. haven't been at a good steep beach yet tho, just having some fun on the flat. Anyone know any decent steep beaches for skim boarding in Clare??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

Well.Im from Waterford an do a bit of skimboarding.Usually just out at Tramore or Annestown.Its good fun an i dont find it to sore when i fall either
    .I can do pop-shuvits but thats about it as far as tricks go for me.
    Just dont skimboard when its windy caus its really hard to do a good throw to start with so you go nowwhere.

Whats the beach in Annestown like for it ? I dont think ive ever actually been there, ironic seeing as i've lived here for over 20 years ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

Its good especially over to the right from the car park.Its really wide and flat with no stones.Just dont go at full high tide caus the waters on the rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

• Advertisement
Advertisement