Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun clubs poaching land

Options
  • 10-10-2006 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

i am just looking for some advice on an issue we seem to be having recently with another gun club in the area. in the last couple of weeks this particular gun club have been putting their gun club signs up on a lot of land that our club has been shooting for over forty years. we were never informed by the land owners or even the other gun club and as far as i know they are approaching the land owners and telling them that our club have packed up. they are also known to be a confrontational shower of people. so does anyone have any advice on what we should do. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Definitely go to the land owners and ask very very nicely what has happened. Show them your club is still going strong and ask can the club still have permission to shoot there excluseively as you have a long history with the land

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

If they have land owners permission I think you are fighting a loosing battle. But ! If the club is registered with NARGC county board you have some options.
    • All clubs have to submit a detail OS map of the area that there club covers. This should be with your county NARGC board if you are lucky as most would be submitted upto 30 years ago.
    • Also when Clubs were established they normally follow Parish boundries, these maps are easy to get your hands on (the local priest being the easiest to access this information)
    This issue must arise on a regular basis these days with a lot of clubs being pushed for land. You best bet is to draft a letter to the club in question outlining your issues and maybe a copy to the county NARGC chairman & secartary.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moby10

someone also recommended pulling down their signs and replacing them with ours but i think this would be a bad idea before we approach the farmer and do you know if there is any procedures with which a gun club should go through if they take over land previously used by another club. as far as i know the n.a.r.g.c. is supposed to be informed and they in return contact both clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

moby10 wrote:
    someone also recommended pulling down their signs and replacing them with ours but i think this would be a bad idea before we approach the farmer and do you know if there is any procedures with which a gun club should go through if they take over land previously used by another club. as far as i know the n.a.r.g.c. is supposed to be informed and they in return contact both clubs.

All clubs which border lands of a disolved club are normally contacted by the NARGC county board stating that the land is not being managed by a club. (normally after something like this occurs) At this point they normally try to split things up between the different clubs evenly. Note this will only happen if the disolved club in question is out of action for more than 5 years and these lands can be return to the club if they reform and meet the NARGC club requirments.

So yes if your boundries touch any amenments to shooting grounds has to go through the NARGC and local clubs first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moby10

thats great help lads thanks, its always good to get other peoples opinions and advice. i was on my way today to meet some of the land owners, so its good to know where we stand. i will let yous knowhow we get on. thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Why don't gun clubs visit the farmers in their area more often - I'm involved with a few hunts and each meet is cleared with the farmers a few days before - you always call to the awkward feckers at least anyway :rolleyes:
    If there's any hassle we send out appology cards - simple and cheap and works wonders.

When I joined the local gun club a lot of the farmers told me they didn't allow the club on their land :eek: it was usually over small things that happened years ago but no one ever bothered trying to patch things up!
    I'd know most of the local farmers and actually can shoot on more places than the club can :rolleyes:

Advertisement