Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 customer care strikes again

• 10-10-2006 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

some of you will remember parts of this from my last thread on the issue.

my contract with 3 had just ended and i wanted to get my 6680 unlocked. they lied to me and told me they can't unlock it. instead they'd send me out a different phone which they've admitted to being able to unlock.

i chose the motorola v3x because the rest of the phones were crap and i wasn't going to have to use it (moto's suck to those who mightn't know)

first of all they made me wait a month for the unlock code for the v3x, which was what my last thread was about.

then i sold it to a friend. a few days later he said the camera wasn't working and pressing the up button made the menu go down, among other things

i phoned three and they sent me out a bubble wrap bag so i could send it to them for repair. at the time i had a bet going with the customer service guy that it would still be faulty when it came back.

i wrapped up the phone and sent it off to them. it came back three days later and lowe and behold its still faulty. so i just phoned them there. the guy told me that they won't deal with the phone because "its outside warranty" even though its been faulty since i got it about two months ago. it seems their policy has changed in the last two weeks

apparently they count the year i had my 6680 as the warranty for the broken phone they sent out to me two months ago. the guy suggested i phone motorola.

i said "i'm going to phone comreg instead. goodbye" and i hung up on him

basically their policy is that when people's contracts finish, they take their fully working phones off them and resell them. then they send them out broken (they called it "refurbished")* ones and then tell them to fook off when they say they're broken.

was i unreasonable to expect a warranty on the phone?

*also, when i was sent out the phone i wasn't told it would be a "refurbished" model. the third guy i phoned trying to get the unlock code told me that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

All seems very annoying, would you bring it to the small claims court?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure warranties begin each time u receive a product. You get a phone on 1 yr contract/1 yr warranty. It craps out after 6 months. You get a new/replacement and the 1 yr warranty begins again once you receive replacement..ie you don't have only 6mts warranty.
    Its a pretty cut and dry system.. 3 seem to operate a policy of fobbing customers off a few times before giving in to reasonable demands or ... the law.
    Most give up before it gets that far = €€ for 3.
    A quick phone or email consultation with a lawyer should clarify the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

quintron wrote:
    I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure warranties begin each time u receive a product. You get a phone on 1 yr contract/1 yr warranty. It craps out after 6 months. You get a new/replacement and the 1 yr warranty begins again once you receive replacement..ie you don't have only 6mts warranty.
    Its a pretty cut and dry system.. 3 seem to operate a policy of fobbing customers off a few times before giving in to reasonable demands or ... the law.
    Most give up before it gets that far = €€ for 3.
    A quick phone or email consultation with a lawyer should clarify the details.

No. You warranty runs from the original date. Otherwise people would "break" their phones (and any other equipment) every 10 months or so, get a new one and repeat indefinately, never having to buy a new phone again.

As for what 3 were at ? who knows. How could they possibley not be able to unlock a phone that would have started life as a sim free phone and then locked to their network? even if they have to get the info from nokia (I think thats what vodafone do for certain models), it is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I beg to differ.
    I have reveived upgraded warranties in the past. And its the way it should be.
    Sure, people may "break" phones but that is ultimately easy to spot with the barrage of tests they do on a product to determine a fault.
    I'm talking obvious hardware faults etc. And I'm not saying its easy to do..

You receive a product and it doesn't work as advertised or as designed. You have a product that you cannot use as designed, so you return it. They check it out realise that its faulty..fix it or send you a replacement. You now have a fully working product as designed. Your warranty starts from there.

Its certainly the case in the states where I have received upgraded warranties due to faults with tech products on 3 separate occasions ( 1 x HDD, 1 x Tivo box, 1 x Coffee maker), and also once from France, where I got a faulty Archos AV340 a couple of years ago. Its power button was faulty. I returned it after 3 months. 3 weeks later I had a new product. I emailed them to upgrade my warranty from the time I received the new unit. They emailed me back with upgraded warranty, without question.

This is getting away from the original post though.. I still think 3 are liable especially as it has been proven some have been unlocked via their call centre and others not. They suggested a replacement phone. They should provide a new warranty especially as he is on CONTRACT. How can you not have a warranty for a product while on contract anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You do not get a new 12 month warranty when a phone is repaired or replaced in warranty. You get either 90 days from the day you get it back or the remaining time left on the warranty, whichever is longer. That's with phones I've dealt with in Meteor, Vodafone and O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Stekelly wrote:
    As for what 3 were at ? who knows. How could they possibley not be able to unlock a phone that would have started life as a sim free phone and then locked to their network? even if they have to get the info from nokia (I think thats what vodafone do for certain models), it is available.

we all know they're lying. that's not so much the issue here. the problem is they replaced it with a broken phone and are now telling me there's no warranty on it despite the fact that its already been repaired once

chrislad wrote:
    You do not get a new 12 month warranty when a phone is repaired or replaced in warranty. You get either 90 days from the day you get it back or the remaining time left on the warranty, whichever is longer. That's with phones I've dealt with in Meteor, Vodafone and O2.
    i sent it back after about a month and a week (the month being the time i was waiting for the unlocking code)

and it came back from repair about a week and a half ago

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you 100%. If I were you, I'd tell them to shove the V3x up their arses and give you back an unlocked 6680. They are taking the piss out of you.

chrislad wrote:
    Don't get me wrong. I agree with you 100%. If I were you, I'd tell them to shove the V3x up their arses and give you back an unlocked 6680. They are taking the piss out of you.
    done and done.

i've told them i have the form for the small claims court all ready to go. felt kind of bad doing it because the guy i was talking to about an hour ago is such a nice bloke. i've talked to him a good few times before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Well I have given up with 3 to be honest . They ,make up their own rules and they dont give a damn about comreg or the law . They are cowboys!!!!

I have finished my 12 months contract with them and sought compensation for various issues one being charged more for a phone upgrade than I was told when the original one broke. There are other issues that I was charged nearly twice the rate for roaming rates than was advertised on their website on the days I made the calls. Anyway I have a outstanding balance for a few hundred euro and I have refused to pay . I sent a letter to 3 on 3 occassions and they have never replied. I keep getting monthly statements with the o/s amount on them and I got 3 phone calls. Each time I tell the story to them again and again and they tell me they will escalate the issues and call me back but suprise suprise it never happens. So I told them until I get compensated they are not getting a penny !!! They can take me to court I would love to see the judge and show him my documents and prove that I have. I have documented every call and names of agents I spoke to from day one so Im not giving in .

Anyone in the same boat dont pay and dont give in to their bully boy tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    we all know they're lying. that's not so much the issue here. the problem is they replaced it with a broken phone and are now telling me there's no warranty on it despite the fact that its already been repaired once

hi there,, i had the same issues as comander vimes,, except they sent me out a sony, and then 3 weeks later said they couldnt unlock!! so they sent me another 6680.. now am still waiting for the unlock code weeks later!

also to make matters worse i ported my 3 number to vodafone ( couldnt wait to leave the 3 network), and just recently realised that people calling me from 02 network , have problems calling me,, 8 out of ten attempts they get the msg

" the number you are calling is not in service, please check the required number and dial again"!!!!!

the other two times they get through ok..
    have logged this fault, with the network operator and waiting to hear back from them.......:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I assume then folks it's not advisable to go with the 3 network then i was considering it.:eek:

jonny68 wrote:
    I assume then folks it's not advisable to go with the 3 network then i was considering it.:eek:
    not so much no.

i'd like to thank the user nielled for reminding me about this in a pm:
    three.ie wrote:
    We will provide a 24 month warranty on all of our handsets regardless of the manufacturer’s warranty which usually covers only the first 12 months (see terms below).

http://www.three.ie/ireland/qualifier.omp

to quote zed:
    I'ma call a couple of hard, pipe-hittin' niggas to go to work on homes here with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. You hear me talkin' hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass

(homes and hill billy boy refer to the 3 network in this case)

new development, they've offered me a k608i instead of the v3x. the phone isn't anywhere near as good as a 6680 so i've told them to shove it. they said they'd give me back a 6680 locked to three instead but that's useless to me. i'm on the phone to nokia at the moment to get confirmation that they can unlock a 6680

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

I'm sure Nokia can unlock it, but I'm also sure they won't give you the code.

BreadBoard wrote:
    I'm sure Nokia can unlock it, but I'm also sure they won't give you the code.
    i know they won't unlock it. i just wanted them to confirm that 3 are lying about not being able to. i rang today and explained the situation and that they were blaming it all on nokia. she wasn't very helpful though. she said it was very likely that they were lying but couldn't say for sure.

i rang 3 to try to get a k610i instead and they said no so according to comreg my next stage is a written complaint letter so that's all written up and ready to post

Tell them you'll take a locked N80 or K800i :)

chrislad wrote:
    Tell them you'll take a locked N80 or K800i :)
    i already tried that :D they told me no

i already tried that :D they told me no

listen havent three ever heard of the ole sayin

a happy customer tells 10 other people

an unhappy customer tells 100 other people...

this is crap,,, over 1 yr to organise unlock codes and 3 still havent managed ( so they say) to get them.

we need to coordinate our effort and escalate things,,, wonder what gerry ryan show would think of the saga....... or put a add in the paper asking three ireland to give us our unlock codes? wouldnt be that expensive !!

i have already paid 3 ireland the €25 euros fee for the unlock code!!!!!!!!!!

or contact 3uk, and email chief exec's directly........... :mad: :mad: :mad:

EIN wrote:
    listen havent three ever heard of the ole sayin

a happy customer tells 10 other people

an unhappy customer tells 100 other people...

this is crap,,, over 1 yr to organise unlock codes and 3 still havent managed ( so they say) to get them.

we need to coordinate our effort and escalate things,,, wonder what gerry ryan show would think of the saga....... or put a add in the paper asking three ireland to give us our unlock codes? wouldnt be that expensive !!

or contact 3uk, and email chief exec's directly........... :mad: :mad: :mad:
    this thread has been viewed 288 times and i'm mentioning that in my letter. that's a good start

do you know anyone else who's trying to get a code? i have one other mate on the network with a 6680 who's going to have the trouble in a few weeks when his contract ends. three people won't make much of a difference really. tbh i don't think gerry ryan will care.

• Advertisement

I really think you should just post the letter tomorrow via registered post. Say that you expect a phone call by Wednesday evening at the latest with news saying that they have an unlocked phone, otherwise you are taking them to small claims court for a) the cost of an unlocked 6680 and b) the cost of inconveniece due to breaking phone, not having your phone unlocked etc. Don't piss around. Just get it done, would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

I got a replacement 6680 from Vodafone insurance, I was told that it had a full new warranty!!!!!!!!!

Don't let 3 away wit it.

chrislad wrote:
    I really think you should just post the letter tomorrow via registered post. Say that you expect a phone call by Wednesday evening at the latest with news saying that they have an unlocked phone, otherwise you are taking them to small claims court for a) the cost of an unlocked 6680 and b) the cost of inconveniece due to breaking phone, not having your phone unlocked etc. Don't piss around. Just get it done, would be my advice.
    oh, i am. its printed and ready to go. and i wouldn't be silly enough not to send it by registered post. Ein, i suggest you do the same. make sure to mention boards too. i didn't mention the name. i just called it an irish forum with 75,000 members

the address is: 3 customer services, h3g ireland, PO box 333, dublin 2

they'll rue the day they messed with commander vimes *lightning strike*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'll be looking to get my Nokia 6680 unlocked come December, if they pull this **** with me they'll be hell to pay!

I'm not taking some second hand phone from them,

I've been a pretty happy customer of Three upto now and I sing their praises but if they pull this **** with me people are going to know about it, that I'll make sure of :)

new development. i said i wanted the k610 and they said no. then i said i'd pay some money towards it. the woman went away and asked her manager and then came back with "we can unlock that one either".

but my friend who had a 6680 same as me just rang me off his brand new k610i that was given to him by 3 and hes getting the unlock code on monday.

they sunk to a new low

although i must admit the woman i just rang there was very helpful. she's on the night shift and doesn't normally deal with this stuff so she didn't even know the deal about swapping phones. i explained a cut down version of the story and told her my friend just got a k610. she said she's going to send an email to the manager who isn't in at this time and she put my friends number in it to show that they are giving out k610s and hes going to ring me tomorrow. i'll let you all know what happens then. i'm sure you're all dying to know :)

hopefully it's all over. i just phoned there and the guy asked his manager and showed him the pages and pages of notes on my account about it and the manager agreed to send me a k610 because of all the hassle i've gone through. it's being delivered tomorrow so i won't know for a few days til i get the unlock code if its all been sorted. what's the bets its faulty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

fingers crossed vimes. Has been an interesting thread - I wonder if it has made its way up to anyone worthwhile. Certainly alot of information and messing going on here, of which the outcome would dicate for alot of people if they'd bother going with 3 or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I want to commit mass murder of 3 customer service.

In similar fashion to the situations communicated here and other opinions expressed, I have had an almost identical scenario happen.

I signed up for a 12 month contract, and had no problem doing so. As with most services, simple to register, difficult to leave.

Nevertheless, I had been in contract a mere 2 months and decided that due to circumstances that had arisen, I need to use an international SIM card in my handset, in addition to that of 3.

So, I proceeded to contact their customer care regarding getting the unlocking code for my Nokia 6280. I was informed that getting the unlocking would be no problem, but due to the fact that 3 had not received the codes from Nokia yet, I would have to wait a month or alternatively they could set me another handset. This wasn't a major problem as I'm quite patient and was happy with my Nokia 6280. They told me they would take my name and contact number and add me to a queue list to receive the unlocking code. So, I waited.

In anticipation of the one month date drawing close, I call 3 again, too see if the codes might have come in earlier. I was informed they hadn't and again their customer care representative took my name and relevant details and once again added me to the list. No problem.

The month had passed and I received no update or any form of communication so called them again. I was informed that there was no list, and the person on the phone had no clue as to why two of his colleagues had previously informed me of this. I was also informed that they would not be issuing me out the unlocking code until my contract had expired and if I wanted it before then I would have to pay out the remaining amount of my contract! Helllloooo? How retarded are these people?

I was furious. I had been with O2, Vodafone and Meteor previously, and never heard such crap in getting the unlocking code. Normally it was "it will take five days for us to process the code". 3 were taking the piss obviously. I demanded to talk to a supervisor, manager, someone who might have earned a nice little certificate at telesales school. I was informed that all supervisors were in a meeting. I inquired "All? You mean to tell me they left you people unsupervised". It was once again reiterated to me that no one in a senior role to the person I talked to could take my call. I demanded once again, and again and again until eventually the representative got some, not before asking me again "what exactly was the problem again?" before transferring my call.

I got to speak to some team leader person. Polite as she wasn't, unknowledgeable as her subordinate she was. I explained my situation. She cited the 3 terms and conditions to me. Blah, blah, blah is all I heard. So I told her this was MY phone I purchased and 3 had no right to restrict my usage of it. She informed me once again of the terms of conditions, so I asked her to pinpoint the conditions on the website or the contract detailing unlocking codes and restricting usage. "Uhm, erm, eh", she replied. Yes, I thought so, talking out her ass so she was.

So, in the end, she let me know someone senior to her will be calling me to address my situation. This was over a week ago. 3 are crap. Steer well clear for anyone even considering them.

So, I proceeded to contact their customer care regarding getting the unlocking code for my Nokia 6280. I was informed that getting the unlocking would be no problem, but due to the fact that 3 had not received the codes from Nokia yet, I would have to wait a month or alternatively they could set me another handset. This wasn't a major problem as I'm quite patient and was happy with my Nokia 6280. They told me they would take my name and contact number and add me to a queue list to receive the unlocking code. So, I waited.

In anticipation of the one month date drawing close, I call 3 again, too see if the codes might have come in earlier. I was informed they hadn't and again their customer care representative took my name and relevant details and once again added me to the list. No problem.

The month had passed and I received no update or any form of communication so called them again. I was informed that there was no list, and the person on the phone had no clue as to why two of his colleagues had previously informed me of this. I was also informed that they would not be issuing me out the unlocking code until my contract had expired and if I wanted it before then I would have to pay out the remaining amount of my contract! Helllloooo? How retarded are these people?

not one bit of that is true. there is no list, even though several customer careless people have told me there was. i was told it would be a month when i signed up last august. they won't unlock your phone if you pay out your contract. they'll never unlock it

slight update on my situation:
    i wasn't sure if my dad would be home on tuesday so i said i'd get back to them later to see if tuesday was ok. i phoned later and was told that because it had gone 4 o clock it now wouldn't be delivered til wednesday. this was after my dad had agreed to stay home on tuesday and had rearragned stuff.

i told him there was a change of plan and he'd now have to stay home wednesday, which he grudgingly did. the phone didn't arrive. i phoned up to say wtf and they said it had been added to the list late (after 4 on tuesday apparently) so it wouldn't be delivered til today, so my dad had to stay home two days.

and guess what, no phone today either. the guy said there was some note about being unable to locate the address out here in the sticks of dublin 15 but then he phoned the delivery company and they said there was no indication that it had been brought back to the depot. their advice:wait

its apparently going to be delivered tomorrow between 9 and 12. i have the address for their complaints department so if its not in my hand by 12 i'm going down there with a flamethrower to burn it to the ground. who's with me?

• Advertisement

i paid these people 25euros for the unlock code ( administrative fee)
    i am still waiting with a locked 6680..

this is unacceptable. like other posters, from my experiences with three, i could not honestly recommend them , even to my worst enemy...

nothing but hassle and excuses from three in my experience.

i am waiting months and months for an unlock code.

they took my €25 euros. this sort of service is unacceptable in this day and age. im going to ring them now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement