Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Tuam

Options
  • 10-10-2006 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend are new to the tuam area. Currently we know on one and just wondering about clubs, social outlets etc in the area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Tuam has only two clubs, The Source known locally as The Sports and Geogehan's(more of a late bar really but it is big)

Geogehan's is the busier of the two and is free on Friday & Sunday nights but the secuirity can be muppets from time to time and start a dress code rule when ever they like, but once you get in, it's good. The drink prices are standard, 3.85 for a pint and it's gets a nice crowd.

The Sports is a OK place but is very quite and is expensive, they have just started free entry on Friday nights and I think ladies get in free until a certain time on Saturdays,(open to correction) it's dity, the staff bar two or three are crap and the drink is really expensive, fiver a pint.

Both clubs charge a tenner on Saturday nights.

As for pubs, well depends on yer age, I'm 21 and I enjoy The Brogue(down-stairs, upstairs s full of kids), the Abbey is a good spot, mostly early 20s. The cellar on shop street is a nice small place for a quite pint, but my favourite bar is Reapies, Tuam's oldest bar, best smoking area and Tuam's best pint, trad sessions every Thursday. TJ Loftus known locally as "Junies" is a very good spot, older crowd but great staff and a great pint. The Hibernia Inn AKA "Mary Lou's" is an OK pub, gets a big crowd, looks crap inside but good staff, two pool tables and is great for after hours! Canavans, a Slovak pub is good too, nice staff and they carry Polish, Chezh and Slovak beers and snacks.

Shopping, not much, better off getting the bus to Galway, Burkes leave from the Cathedral every day, time tables on bus, 7.50, 10.00, 12.00, 14.00 is departure times, Bus Eireann have a stop by the Hospital.

Local paper; "The Tuam Herald" comes out every Wednesday at around 5.00, give ya more info, it can be viewed on-line at unison.ie too!!

Best of luck and fell free to PM me if you have any other questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Thanks a lot.

I appriciate the time both of you took to reply. The two of us are new to the town etc. We need to get out and meet new people.

Sure muzzy if we ever bump into I'll buy you a pint.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Good man muzzy :p.

If ya fancy a take away or something to eat, we now have 3 Chinese restaurants (Emporer Palace, High Street, Thai Garden (?) TheShambles and will have 3 Indians restaurants in the next month hopefully! There is also the usual chippers/pizza places. Mario's (Good chips) on Bishop Street, Golden Pizza on Vicar Street (Good Pizza) and the awful Supermacs on the Square. For a formal sit down meal with high prices, try Cré na Cille on High Street or Waterslade House at the bottom of Shop St. The Correlea Court Hotel on the Square also does food (right, Muzzy?).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Jamey wrote:
    The Correlea Court Hotel on the Square also does food (right, Muzzy?).

They do indeed Jamey, but I lost my staff discount, got the sack last Tuesday!!

*Edit*......and Golden Pizza chips are way nicer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement