Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2mb versus 3mb

Options
  • 10-10-2006 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

I currently have 2mb briodband from BT. I was wondering, if I upgrade to the 3mb (for €10 more a month) would it make much difference to my 'gaming experience' online ?

Was playign Fifa 07 last night and noticed my ping was around 500. It seemed to be quite high in relation to others.

Cheers,
    brian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No, it wont affect your gaming experiance, unless you have a few flatmates on at the same time on the same connection.

Ping or Latency is better, and that is the sign of a good net connection. Yours sounds like a bad one, unless you were on a server in asia or somewhere far far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

I dont think speed and ping are relative (I might be wrong though) however a ping of 500 is unnaceptable, I get a ping of around 20-35 and im on a wireless 2 meg line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hi Brian,

If your Ping is circa 500 then its not your Broadband I would think [?] More likely the host Server is in Katmandu ?

Anyone want to comment on general advantages between 2MB and 3MB - for gaming, surfing and downloading large files ?

- For instance according to UTV:

2MBs is the equivalent of 40 X 56k Dialup speed
    & 3MBs is the equivalent of 50 X 56k Dialup speed

Whats the story here why isn't that 60 X - or how does that work then ?

Also my contention ratio would be halved from 48 to 24 - but then I've never noticed any performance problems that could have been symptomatic of congestion - but maybe as broadband grows more popular this does become a problem ?

Cheers,

Raiser

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As others have said, jumping from 2m to 3m won't make any difference to gaming, unless you have other people using the same connection also or if you are downloading stuff in the background, using VOIP, etc.

With gaming, once you have 1m or over, bandwidth doesn't normally matter, latency is what is important.

For general surfing, email, etc. you normally won't see any difference either. Again unless you are sharing with other people or the odd time you try to download a very big email, big webpage, etc.

The only time faster BB really makes a difference is when downloading large files, whether that is software updates, iso's, music (itunes), videos (youtube), streaming radio etc.

Or it might make a difference if you share your BB with house mates, etc.

Advertisement