Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wireless Rear Surround Sound Speakers

• 10-10-2006 12:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

I want to turn my current wired rear surround speakers into wireless rear surround speakers.

I have an Onkyo Receiver with 5 Onkyo speakers and a sub woofer. The two rear surround speakers are wired at the moment.

Is there someway of making these wireless?? If you look at this Bose one it is similar to what I am looking for except that the receiver is wired to both speakers so you don't really eliminate the wires.

Ideally what I am looking for is a transmitter that I can attach to the Onkyo receiver above which will
    a)transmit to either the current rear speakers I have with a wireless receiver attached or
    b)two new rear speakers with similar spec to the ones I have, which have their own in built wireless receivers

Can anyone recommend something for me here?? I don't want to buy cheap crappy speakers which would degragate the sound I have currently. Are these wireless transmitters bog standard and compatible with most receivers??

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Looking at what you have already , ( Onkyo AV unit ) you are no stranger to good sound and unfortunately that is going to limit your options.

Most wireless rear speakers come as part of basic home theatre sets and your receiver puts all those to shame. The wireless transmitters in these sets tend to be proprietary and cannot be used on other systems.

The best unit I could find that would fill your requirement is this ,

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/SonicImmersionDigitalAudioLink5.8GHzp1.php

This unit is pricey , but can allegedly replace all the wires on your home system.
    However read the review , wireless speaker systems are still relatively new technology and as it stands there is a degradation in sound quality no matter what unit you choose , this units degradation seems to be minimal though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Thanks for that. They are fairly expensive alright, especially if I need two of them, one for each speaker!!

I thought this would be easy to source :( Maybe I'll have to stick with what I have for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/862c/

The wired version of this is apparently fantastic :) You can replace the dc adaptor with a UK/Irish one from Maplins etc very easily.

G*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Thanks for that. They are fairly expensive alright, especially if I need two of them, one for each speaker!!

One of them would do , there is two channels on the unit , so it would broadcast both rear speakers with one unit

However , as the review points out , there is a noise issue , and there is currently no high end audio wireless solution thats any better , so I would definitely wait for while for something better.

Advertisement