Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

water leaking into a Golf Gti Mark IV

Options
  • 10-10-2006 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hiya

Noticed a funny smell in the car the other day. After some investigation to my horror my hand found a very wet carpet behind the driver seat under the floor mat. I dried it out with newspaper but still getting wet. Think it is coming up from underneath and not from the door or sunroof. Doesn't look like there is any damage under the car.

Anyone else have this problem and if so how did they fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Strange was it ever crashed? I had a problem with a water leak in my mkiv golf from the reer window washer.I think it was a common problem on this model.The water leaked into the boot though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

There's a small switch on the door with a picture of a window, try pressing it to the "UP" position, that should sort it out...:D :D:D:D:D:D

Seriously ,check the pollen filter box under the bonnet and see if there's any water getting in, next after that maybe a seal around the door frame.

the rear window washer also sounds like it could be leaking from behind ,
    so check that also.
    In the mean time if there’s a lot of water, you could open a grummet under the car to get rid of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

i had the same problem with my ford focus, what caused it was as the previous poster said, the pollen filter box, i had to get a replacement windscreen in and the cowboys who installed it broke the pollen filter box and one of the strips at the window sealing up, I was shocked one day too when i discovered the water on the passenger side floor and also coming through to the seat floor behind it
    Cost me 108 euro to get fixed ( about 2 months ago ) ,might not be the problem but gives you an idea of what to check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

I had the same problem and it turned out that the drainage channels for the sunroof were blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

We had a simuler problem a few times, its the sunroom leaking, see is the sun visor light full with water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

cheers for that, was raining last and woke to find a huge pond of water on the drive side, I was speechless for several minutes, I mean a pool of water atleast 2-3 litres all on the diver's side. It was mostly behind the seat in the foot well and a good amount under the driver's mat. Going get a bubby to run a power hose over the car while I am inside to see if we locate the leak. Will check the drainage on the sun roof but should feel dampness on the sides or the roof? Felt it could be the door seal but will check everything and let ye know my findings.
    Really feel like getting rid of the car and getting a Yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I would bet its your pollen filter. Common problem I believe in the Mk4 golfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I wouldn't think its the pollen filter but check it anyway - afaik the pollen filter is on the passenger side in MkIV. Check the plenumb chamber (where the wiper motor is). There is a drain channel here which can often get blocked by leaves and other items. If the water can't drain from here it will fill up and eventually leak through into the interior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

common problem with the golf platform.

Had the wet and smelly passenger footwell scenario with my cupra...

Decided to have a look at the pollen filter housing since its often the culprit.

To my dismay I was amazed at the design of the pollen filter water trap..which is in effect a self supporting rubber tray that goes over the pollen filter element to stop water ingress without effecting airflow.

The trouble is on the production line under the pressure of speed its so easy to catch the corner of the rubber tray on the filter as its tight a squeeze to put in...you then have one corner lower than the rest and presto the water p**ses over it.

I fixed the problem by using an empty small fanta bottle squashed fairly flat and wedged between the rubber tray and the filter element to keep the whole thing level....dry as a bone since.

sorted, leaking from the sun roof drain pipe blocked, ten minute fix.now to get rid of the damp smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

real_484 wrote:
    sorted, leaking from the sun roof drain pipe blocked, ten minute fix.now to get rid of the damp smell.

I've a similar problem with mine at the moment real_484, how did you get at the sun roof drain?

Couldn't tell where the leak was coming from so took it tobin auto services tramore road in Cork. He took one look and said either the bulk head where the alarm was fitted or the sun roof. They never tell you the drain pipes should be cleaned with compressed air every 3 months. It only took him ten minutes to clean them out. I have googled it before and there is some advice on cleaning but beacuse I couldn't see where the leak was had to bring to the experts.

Advertisement