Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Height

Options
  • 10-10-2006 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

In my new build i aimed for a ceiling height of 8 foot 3 inches in the ground floor, i went down the route of suspended ceiling as i had hollowcore. However due to using this method i will be left with a ceiling height of 8 foot 2 inches. I realise this cannot be changed but is this an acceptable height and am i freeting over something i shouldnt be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Nah, what's in an inch? 8' or 2.4m is standard. Mind you, if you do have a suspended ceiling. then there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't have had 8'3" exactly if required. Some folks prefer having a higher ceiling downstairs e.g. 9', with the hollowcore there should be a decent space above the suspended ceiling. My brother's new build has over a foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

will it cost more to plasterboard the walls if they are greater than the avg 8'? Just thinking because I'm sure these sheets are pre-made in mass quantities for the 8' ceiling height. Anything above that might be special order???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

am i freeting over something i shouldnt be.

Yes, you'll be fine. We ended up counter-battening the ceilings to help with the pipe runs, so are ceiling heights are 7ft 11ins. and they are fine IMO. Besides high ceilings are less fuel efficent!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Do-more wrote:
    Yes, you'll be fine. We ended up counter-battening the ceilings to help with the pipe runs, so are ceiling heights are 7ft 11ins. and they are fine IMO. Besides high ceilings are less fuel efficent!

Interesting point you raised there DoMore about the heat efficiencies
    and higher ceilings.

Do you know whether this applies to the same extent when heating
    using UFH as opposed to wall rads ? I seem to recall one of the
    ufh savvy plumbers telling me that with wall rads you get more
    convective heat transfer and loss. If I recall I was asking him about
    the idea of putting a thinner layer of high density floor insulation
    above screed upstairs compared to downstairs. Someone had told
    me that the rationale behind putting less upstairs was because
    heat rises and by using say 25mm of xtratherm or similar upstairs
    as opposed to say 50mm or so downstairs that you benefit by
    allowing more of the heat convected upwards to transfer to the
    second floor.

My savvy plumber told me that this was a bogus argument as far
    as ufh was concerned since ufh systems tend to produce less
    upward convective flows than wall rads. If this is the case then
    I'm guessing that taller ceilings won't impact as much on heat
    loss or a perception of a room being cooler if you have UFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

will it cost more to plasterboard the walls if they are greater than the avg 8'? Just thinking because I'm sure these sheets are pre-made in mass quantities for the 8' ceiling height. Anything above that might be special order???

You are right about the sheets coming in sizes of 2400. But this is downstairs and the walls don't need plaster board unless its timber frame. And I doubt its timber frame if he is using a hollowcore slab.
    So it shouldn't cost more to plaster. Or very slight increase if the plasterer wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Re the plaster board (if it is an issue): leave the 2" gap at the end, and it will be hidden by the skirting.

Advertisement