Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new PC from Komplett

Options
  • 10-10-2006 2:08pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to buy a new PC shortly (for games mainly) and was hoping somebody could give me some advice. Thankfully, cost is not a huge issue but I don't want to waste cash on something thats not of huge benefit.

Dells seem to be stupidly overpriced, so I was thinking of going with Komplett.

Any comments or suggestions on the build below? Anything I should add or subtract? Is there something over the horizon I should be waiting for? Some of the options are a little confusing. I haven't a clue about wireless networking for example - I was hoping to find some way of being able to link up to my xbox360 wirelessly.

Anyway, any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.

From http://www.komplett.ie/k/config.asp?ConfigSystemId=10206
    Fortron/Source Powersupply ATX 400W
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67GHz Socket
    Creative SB X-Fi Platinum
    Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2b
    OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2 Special Ops Edition,
    NEC DVD±recorder AD-7173 IDE Silver OEM
    Samsung 21" LCD Syncmaster 215TW TCO03
    Harman Kardon Soundsticks II
    NEC DVD±recorder AD-7173 IDE Black OEM
    Norman IC, 1 year license Virus Control
    PC box
    SoftThinks Installation/Recovery
    Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard,
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB SATA2
    Logitech MX Revolution Cordless
    Gigabyte 3D Aurora GZ-FSCA1-AN Silver
    ABIT AW9D-MAX, I975X, Socket-775,SATAII,
    XFX GeForce 7950GX2 520M 1GB eXtreme,
    D-Link DWL-G520M PCI Super G 108Mbps
    Corsair Flash Voyager 4096MB USB2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ditching the fortron would be a good start...get a tagan or a seasonic with about 500 Watts.

Why 2 DVD writers? If u need 2 drives get one reader and one writer.

I would go for a different base spec, cant help right now (meant to be working) but will more than happily help out later on.

Feel free to PM me.

Oh, and you came to the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

DX10 graphics cards will be out soon. Next month is it??
    To power your rig you will need more than that 400W power supply.
    The graphics card alone will use 400W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

600W minimum psu. Good quality ie. Seasonic, Ocz, Antec

I wouldn't go buying a gx2 at the moment with nvidia dx10 cards out in november, that gx2 & all 7 series gpu's will drop in price then. Could get a bargain then, just buy something like a 7600gt or 7900gt etc to tide you over till then.

No need for the Ocz special ops memory unless your overclocking, just go for the cheapest 5300/5400 memory, dont see a cooler on your list so i presume your not oc'ing. You've gone for an xfire board and a dual card......why? why not go for a 965 mobo? The E6700 is also a waste of money as the E6600 can overclock to the same speeds as it can reach. Not being a critic, but this is just a few things i think you should think about.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Thanks for the advice guys. I've changed the spec according to your advice. Don't feel like I'm wasting cash now!

Advertisement