Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat issue with Thermaltake 600W Purepower

Options
  • 10-10-2006 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi

Well after all the hassle with the SLI earlier, I am finally getting the system back up to running full tilt again.

One worry i have at the moment is with the PSU. Both fans in the PSU arent rotating. Now I tried connecting it to one of the fan headers on the motherboard and it seems only on startup to spin up. Once windows kicks in they stop. Kinda like those dell servers that kick in all the fans and then slow them down as required.

The average case temp is between 35 & 40 deg C with the Processor only being 1 degree above that on idle and up to a max of 48 under full load peaking at 50 after say 2-3 hours.

I have tried taking it off the fan header and they dont spin up at all. Maybe its a temp thing because of the case design there are about 5 fans near to it (2 rear, 2 side, 1 on top). The PSU itself feels quite warm to touch but the back of the case on top doesnt feel warm at all.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these PSUs?

Ta muchly...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hmm, I would have said you were more than likely not stressing your psu, but with those specs it seems unlikley. Well I always tell people, if you are going to buy high spec parts buy all high spec parts. A TT power supply is a peice of crap.

Rant over, is there not a fan controller on the back of the psu?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well i take the point about the TT PSU.. Recommend me a good one, i am thinking of replacing it anyways

There is a few, Seasonic/Enermax/Ocz/Antec. Depends on the model type really. I'm sure if you really checked out that TT psu it would crap out around the 550watt mark. A good make like above would post what the power supply can be run at well, rather then the absolute top.

Eg, I have a 520watt Ocz powerstream. It will run at 520watts with no problem. I think it has crapped out in a few tests at about 620.

Based on your rec's went for the 700W OCZ gamestream..

And it works very nicely and quietly.

Thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ocz's are pretty noisy, especially the Gamexstream. I kno cos i got 1. No need to worry if you cant change the order tho as they a great quality psu. Seasonic would be a better choice if you can change the order.

• Advertisement

You have the same case as myself well the 8003 model... Its not too bad at the moment

THe sys temp is 30C and the CPU at load (2.2 running at 2.4 with stock cooler) is 45 after an hour, between 35 and 38 idle

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I need a new psu and am thinking of buying the Hiper 580w but i am open to suggestions as long as it is silent my Antec 480 trupower is driving me mad.

I don't remember any of that? Must have been drunk.

Advertisement