Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Think about buying a cheap estate

Options
  • 10-10-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Child number two is on the way at Christmas and the double buggy has been bought. My wife currently drives a hyundai accent and while the boot size is just about sufficient, getting the buggy in and out of the boot will be a bit of an ordeal due to the weight of it, and it certainly won't leave much room for anything else. We been giving a little thought to buying an estate as there would be more space in the boot (I hope) and the flat bottom on the boot would leave it easier to move things in an out. I'm not sure if we'll be able to afford to change her car but it'd be nice to know what's available. The budget would be a max 5k, the less the better, and power is not an issue, 1.6to 1.9 would be ideal, (no 2.5ltrs or turbos as she is on a provisional). Looks not overly important but not something that's head turning ugly. I had a look on CBG and Carzone and I like the look of a couple of late 90s ford foucs estates, but I'm not sure what the boot space is like in these. To complicate things she doesn't like very long cars, and good visibility when reversing would be a bonus. What other options are out there that would meet our practicality/space requirements and budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Women love the Citreon Xsara Picasso's for some odd reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Take a look at some of the older BMW Estate cars

A 316 or 318 would be just the right size; again early 90's reg should be well under the 5k limit.

There are also some bargain 516 and 518's but these are slightly wider cars so might not suit the criteria.

I like the look of the 90's 3 series BMW but alas we got a good deal on a Passat instead. Good for safety and plenty of boot space for the baby stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The problem with estates in this price bracket is that most of them have had a very hard life already. Estates in Ireland really aren't seen and used as "lifestyle" vehicles but as workhorses. For 5k or under it will be hard to find a horse that isn't a bit "lame" already.

Alternatively also consider the Skoda Octavia hatchback which has a simply ginormous boot.

Here's another alternative:

Kia Rio

Supposedly not a very "nice" car, rather on the cheap and nasty side but apparently reliable
    (I've never driven one)

But cheap it is. Also to run and own.

Buy one for 5 k ...keep for five years ...throw away ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

If you don't mind a Renault then there are a few '00 Scenics in the Buy 'n Sell which you could haggle down to 5 grand.

Even with the poor exchange rate on sterling at the mo, you could find a nice clean privately owned '98 Passat TDi estate up north and have it home for 4-5 grand.

'00 Mondeo estates also in your budget, huge boot, but maybe too big a car for herself..

Sorry it's out of your budget but they are only looking for £2150 (about €3200) for this, VRT is about €3300 + repairs would put it on the road for about €8000 not bad for a '05 low mileage estate....
    http://www.rothervalleymotorsalvage.co.uk/salvage36.htm

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try a Hyundai Elantra, they're like a bigger version of the Accent. a 01 model can easily be had for under 5 grand. and they're still in production so they're not an old model.
    trescuartras1_m.jpg

Fair enough it's no oil painting, but they're solid and reliable and the boot's massive. they were always well specced too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

perhaps a nissan primera estate

Another very practical albeit not exactly beautiful option would be the likes of Citroen Berlingo Multispace (1.4 Petrol or 1.9 Diesel) or Renault Kangoo (1.4 petrol)

They are immensely practical with a cavernous ,flat boot; sliding doors providing easy acces to the rear seats and a high up seating position on a small footprint.

Cheap to run and service too ...zero "prestige" though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kangoo has 5 doors, early Multispace has 3 so that may be important to know. They have tonnes of space and even Clarkson rated the Citroen highly (that may or may not be a plus-point).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Carb wrote:
    Child number two is on the way at Christmas and the double buggy has been bought

Best of luck with your growing family :)

Did you consider going for a D-segment saloon? Much more common than an estate or even a hatchback here in Ireland, let alone any MPVs. It's a buyers' market and saloons can be very, very good value for money

We were in the same situation as yourself and we bought a Rover 75. Alternatives: Honda Accord, Ford Mondeo, etc. All to be had with a 21st century plate for your budget. Or a hatchback: how about a Skoda Octavia? You won't find a more practical boot than that

Mrs unkel is on a provisional too and she was used to driving tiny cars. The move to the much bigger saloon proved to be no problem at all...
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    Women love the Citreon Xsara Picasso's for some odd reason...

There is only 1 Picasso on carzone within his budget and it has 140,000 miles on it. I wouldn't be too keen on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Chopper wrote:
    There are also some bargain 516 and 518's....

As if the 518 wasn't underpowered enough ;)

What about 95-97 Honda Accord Aerodeck and Subaru Legacy Estate?
    I think these are fairly good looking for estate cars but I suppose they may be a bit on the long side.

• Advertisement

actually.... that suggestion for the Berlingo/Kangoo is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Thanks for all the replies folks. There does seem to be a lot of options,and after I talk to the bank hopefully I'll be in a position to look into it with a lot more focus. I've seen a number of saloons and hatchbacks mentioned above, and I have seen previous references to the size of the boot in the Octavia. The main problem is lifting the bloody buggy over the ledge into the boot. I was hugely surprised at the sheer weight of the bloody thing, and it is quite large when folded up compared to a standard buggy. Its probably more of an awkward weight if you know what I mean. I suspect that I would find it difficult to maneouvre (spelling) it into the boot, never mind my wife who couldn't lift if out of the box, although been 8 months pregnant wouldn't help. This is why I was thinking more along the lines of something with a flat boot.

In relation to particular suggestions.

Honda Accord - I currently drive a 97 Accord saloon and she doesn't particularly like it.

Subaru - I assume it would bwe 2ltr plus engines

Kangoo/Berlingo - I'll need to look just to see how ugly

Nissan Primera Estate - Possibly. Was also looking at a few modeo estates. Seen one up North for 2000 sterling. 98/99 with 68k miles. Will look elsewhere though.

Elantra/Other Saloons/Hatchbacks - As mentioned above.

Scenic - Maybe, Ineed to read up on it ie. potential problems etc.

Kia Rio - Anyone got any advice, seems too cheap.

Early BMWs - If it was me I would consider it, but I dont think I would be able to convince her to go back to the early nineties. I'd also have some concerns about possible running costs/

In a nutshell, our criteria would seem to be met my the likes of Passat/Mondeo/Primera estates and possibly Berling/Multispace (other suggestions welcome). Does anyone know anything about the focus estate, especially space wise. After that, I suppose we would have to consider some of the smaller MPVs. Thanks for the suggestions so far. In the meantime, I'll have a look around at some of the suggestions above.

PS. Thanks Unkel for the best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe a Mitsubishi Space Star would suit:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=523425
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=504228
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=499484
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=486437

They are basically a cross between a small estate car and compact MPV, it is based heavily on the Lancer/Colt of the same year. Not too long or bulky either and the 1.3 litre is fairly economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'll prepare for the flaming before I post this...

Fiat Marea SX/ELX Weekend. You'll get an early naughties one cheap, as you don't get much for even a 3-4 year old one on trade in.

We've had 2 without any issues. The boot space is as good as other estates on the market, but better designed than a lot. The rear door is split, so one half goes up and the other down, giving you a dead-flat loading bay. The towbar is easily detachable to allow for this.

This 2003 1.6elx is €6,950 with 50k, but you'd probably buy it for a lot less.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=500708

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fey! wrote:
    This 2003 1.6elx is €6,950 with 50k, but you'd probably buy it for a lot less.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=500708

Chances are it has FIAT service history as it's only had one owner. If checked out properly that could be a very good deal indeed

*puts flamesuit on too*

The focus estate is a fine car but you might as well just get a similar aged 1.6 mondeo estate. it will last much longer for you in terms of practicaulity. The focus estate can be a bit tight in the rear seats.. not good when you have two child seats and then need a passenger to travel back there too.....

Yes the Marea will be cheap as chips but I honestly can't recommend it as every body I know with a FIAT has problems. I used to own one (and had problems, many) so it's not like I didn't give them a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

This Kia Rio is for auction at Merlin Car Auctions, You would probably snap it up well below your budget.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Estate cars are usually longer than hatchbacks and saloons, surely this rules them out if the OP's wife doesn't like long cars?

And here's a Berlingo on budget.

With a good few pictures so you get an idea.

(you probaly would,t even need to fold that double buggy ...just push it in there )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have a Picasso and would recommend it as a family car - only reasonably priced car we could find with 3 full seats and seat belts to fit 2x child seats and another full seat. Also noticed on local paper this evening that Bolands in Wexford town have a 00 Octavia Estate with 88k on a trade sale for €4k. (Not on website though)

• Advertisement
Advertisement