Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Very strange A3 behaviour

Options
  • 10-10-2006 3:31pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looked out the windo last night and the hazzard lights on my A3 were flashing. Same time a neighbour knocked on the door to say my alarm was going off. She was smoaking out the front and my car was accross the road. She said there was no one near it when all of a sudden it started beeping and the hazzards flashing. The beeping was fairly low/quiet and stoped after a minute or 2. Thing is as far as im aware i dont have an alarm! I checked the car and there was nothing wrong with it. The hazzards stopped as soon as I opend the doors off the fob.

Anyone any idea WTF was going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is it a UK import? It may have a factory fitted alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

This is very ALARMING ........ :)

Seriously, was it windy? Were all the windows fully closed, and door properly shut (incl the boot lid)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It may have an Alarm which uses the central locking on/off pulse to arm/disarm the alarm. Open the bonnet and look for a siren/alarm unit.

If it is a factory fitted alarm then it will most likely sound like a car horn rather than a siren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

i would put money on the battery going in one of your key fobs, lock it with your spare key fob next time, and see if it happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Irish car, not windy, car had been parked for 2 1/2 hours, she said it wasn't the car horn and she was surprised how quiet it was. Same fob I use every day and its never happend before or since last night, why would it do that if the battery was low, sounds abit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Not all factory fitted alarms use the horn as a siren.

prospect wrote:
    Not all factory fitted alarms use the horn as a siren.

True - but AFAIK, Audi use a second only for the alarm horn which sounds more like a horn than a siren. If you get my drift............

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Keys in your pocket along with a phone or packet of cigs? Move slightly and button gets pressed continuously by ciggie packet. Car hazards start flashing and car locks/unlocks repeatedly. Might look like an alarm to a neighbour across the road????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

in my exper opinion your car has been possessed by some supernatural force, most likely a poltergeist or a gummy bear. i would advise getting a witchdoctor to perform an exorcism to rid the demon from your car and to prevent it from bouncing here there and everywhere:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Most likely the sensors within the car for the alarm have been moved and are now pointing towards the body of the car and so getting vibrations. Try readjusting them to point somewhere near the centre of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

It is possible to access the alarm on this with the correct equipment and read the live data. One item that is available is the cause of the last trigger eg door switch etc. Without doing this it is nearly impossible to sort.

hth

Let me just add again that I DONT have an alarm, serioulsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Rew wrote:
    Let me just add again that I DONT have an alarm, serioulsy.

U do now :)

The module that controls the central locking also covers the alarm (if fitted). When I say fitted I really mean coded. It would be easy enough to check the coding to see. Either way, the answer in in the module.

hth

If the OP bought the car new and says there is no alarm then the whole things a mystery. However, if he bought a used car it is quite possible that an aftermarket alarm is installed and the OP was not given the remotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

go to the rear right window pane and look at the bottom of the glass for an Alarm icon. You know the arcing bands
    for example http://www.comfy-enjoy.com/everyonecounts/images/alarm.jpg

Depending on the model pruchased, eg S-line, the factory fitted Audi alarm normally does not list in the 'features' spec sheet but will be installed.

Th factory fitted audi alarm is a comparatively quiet electronic beeping tone, as opposed to a airhorn generated tone like most alarms.

Ill check that out cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

Are there any sensors inside the car, each side of the windscreen maybe?

To be fair you should know if your car has an alarm or not, i know you said it dosent but sounds like an alarm.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

if there is a factory alarm fitting, one of the triangular lumps of plastic under the windscreen should be an led.
    if it's aftermarket, they usually stick an led on the dash somewhere, but you would prob still be using the normal fob for both central locking and alarm. at least thats how mine works.

No alarm symbol on the window but I do have a red flasdhing LED on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

red flashing LED on dash likely to be immobiliser light if it comes on when you remove the key, rather than when you lock the car.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well i have an A3, and there is no LED unless you have an alarm. at least in the latest ones.. so sounds like the OP does have the alarm and it went off..

Advertisement