Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gothic III

Options
  • 10-10-2006 3:54pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if any retailers in Ireland will have this on friday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

didnt know it was out so soon

any reviews out there for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

musician wrote:
    Anyone know if any retailers in Ireland will have this on friday?
    I rang the local Game store in Limerick who said they'll have on Friday but couldn't give me a price. Gamestop said they wouldn't be stocking it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Don't seem to be any reviews and I'm not 100% convinced it will appear on friday but it is the slated release date. Encouraging to hear that GAME say they will have it.

Jilm wrote:
    I rang the local Game store in Limerick who said they'll have on Friday but couldn't give me a price.
    Game in Limerick have "mislaid" a couple of boxes apparently ...so no Gothic 3 till next week. Anyone know of another place in Limerick selling Gothic 3?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Couldn't see it in GAME here in Tallaght but it's in HMV for €50 which may be more expensive than it would be in GAME but I don't think I can wait. 85% in PC Zone for what it's worth. No levelling up of enemies in tandem with you. Yesss.

• Advertisement

musician wrote:
    Couldn't see it in GAME here in Tallaght but it's in HMV for €50 which may be more expensive than it would be in GAME but I don't think I can wait. 85% in PC Zone for what it's worth. No levelling up of enemies in tandem with you. Yesss.
    The worst things reviews have had to say about Gothic 3 is the challenging combat (sounds like a good thing to me) and the bugs ...with a patch out already, the bugs will be less of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Good to hear the combat is still challenging, its what really made Gothic2 shine, being good in a punch up in that game made you 10 times more dangerous, even with good gear you had to be a good player to do well in it. Really really looking forward to getting my mitts on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭garrethg

I got my copy yesterday in HMV Grafton street. As a huge Gothic fan my initial impressions aren't good - in fact they're dreadful. I must stress I've only played for half an hour so far, but that's only because I was so horrified I had to hit the 'net to find if they're were any patches/graphics tuning tips/that the whole thing isn't some horrible joke.

Gothic 3 looks like a plastic turd enveloped in bubble wrap. I’m running on a AMD x2/1900xtx/2gig ram with everything set to max and frankly Gothic 2 looked much better. The draw distance is also very close, much closer than the previous Gothics or Oblivion. The soundtrack is bombastic yet forgettable and they’ve changed all the voice actors for both the main characters and the nameless hero. I could go on about the ’physics’ system or the dubious combat but I already sound like a whinging child ;) I’ll play a bit more today and hopefully I’ll discover it’s hidden qualities.

Having played most of yesterday I've come to the conclusion that it's a bug ridden mess, nevertheless a bug ridden mess that deserves 8 out of 10. If it’s properly patched - especially the hopeless AI path finding -it'll be a fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Mmmh... wild boars FTW...
    garrethg wrote:
    Having played most of yesterday I've come to the conclusion that it's a bug ridden mess, nevertheless a bug ridden mess that deserves 8 out of 10. If it’s properly patched - especially the hopeless AI path finding -it'll be a fantastic game.
    Seriously -- how the hell can you award 8/10 to a 'bug-ridden mess"? Or say "if it's properly patched" will make it "fantastic"?
    :confused:
    That's like saying "oh, my car came with slick tires & faulty brakes, but if the magic fairy comes & fixes them I can avoid having a serious accident."

I'm sorry, but you made less sense to me than my own rant & I have a house to clean.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

K.O.Kiki wrote:

something similar happened to me, only it was about 3 boars.....

I have found it's a good idea to carry several backup weapons as when you drop a weapon, as in the video, it doesn't go bact to your hand, you have to go back into your inventory to equip it:mad:.
    K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Seriously -- how the hell can you award 8/10 to a 'bug-ridden mess"? Or say "if it's properly patched" will make it "fantastic"?
    That's like saying "oh, my car came with slick tires & faulty brakes, but if the magic fairy comes & fixes them I can avoid having a serious accident."

The Gothic series seems to bring out people's "inner battered wife".
    (much like BF2 ;))

Some great ideas, with crap execution. It frustrates, annoys and has you screaming at the top of your lungs at the monitor, but you keep coming back for more.

You should stop playing it, you know it's no good for you, but then it winks at you, tells you it's had a patch and will be better to you this time, then you cave and start playing it again. *sob*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

uberpixie wrote:
    The Gothic series seems to bring out people's "inner battered wife".

Some great ideas, with crap execution. It frustrates, annoys and has you screaming at the top of your lungs at the monitor, but you keep coming back for more.

You should stop playing it, you know it's no good for you, but then it winks at you, tells you it's had a patch and will be better to you this time

LOL. Nicely put. Faces of War elicits the same reactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've been awaiting Gothic 3 for a long time now, both previous games were among some of the greatest games I've ever played, and I've played through Gothic 2 repeatedly, even thinking about giving it another go again recently.

I'm going to hold on and see what's the overall word on 3 before I dash out and buy it.

Flawed games can still be amazing, despite the flaws.

K.O.Kiki wrote:

I'm sorry, but you made less sense to me than my own rant & I have a house to clean.:rolleyes:
    :shrug: Considering a video game to be good despite its bugs, and potentially great if those bugs were fixed, is nothing like regarding a dangerous car to be safer if it were repaired. The first is a subjective opinion while the second is an utterly unrelated statement of fact.

The retail release of Gothic 3 is a horribly bug-ridden piece of software, however - in my opinion - it also belongs to the small category of games whose positive qualities manage to outshine their shoddy release state (e.g. Galactic Civilizations II, Daggerfall, Hidden & Dangerous).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's the kind of thing that really puts me off PC gaming. Companys release half-finished games and get away with it because they'll release a series of patches over three or four months that will eventually make the game playable, when in reality, they should have held back release to finish the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

If I am the type of guy who loved morrowind, oblivion, bladurs gate , should I get this, very little solid reviews on web2.0..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

vasch_ro wrote:
    If I am the type of guy who loved morrowind, oblivion, bladurs gate , should I get this, very little solid reviews on web2.0..........

Only if you can live with the bugs... and screaming at your monitor regularly:rolleyes:.

And the fact it runs as fast as my granny crawling home on her eye lids, while drunk....

I have a A64 3500+, 1 gig ram, X800XT PE and the game runs like a dog on lowish settings @ 1024 x 768.

Oblivion ran a hell of a lot better and looked a hell of a lot better on the same system @ 1074 x 768 with medium settings.

It has some great ideas and you do have plenty of freedom to do what ever you want (be good/evil), but it lacks polish and has some terrible bugs and performance issues.

It will keep you going for a while though and to be fair, the environments are varied.

You will either love this game a put up with the flaws or hate it.

Personally I give it a 7/10. Good, but could do much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I started playing this yesterday and think it's great. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't had any bugs crop up so far (I never had a problem with Vampire The Masquarade: Bloodlines either, so I guess I'm just lucky :D ). It looks fantastic and it has plenty of great little touches.

Unfortunately, the combat is a complete joke. I actually ended up using a trainer to make myself invincible because I was so tired of the stupid animal attacks that don't let you get a hit off! :mad: But still, apart from that, it's pretty good.

7/10 merely because the combat is horrific.

Vasch_ro: It's a tough one to recommend. I'm not having a problem with it, bug wise, but many people are. If you know someone with it, borrow it to see if it'll work. Or if you have too much free cash then buy away.

Advertisement