Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB options without phone line

Options
  • 10-10-2006 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Quick question... I'm based in Dublin 6 and ntl BB is not available in my area.
    So is Clearwire my only option for a BB service that:
    i) does not require a phone line
    and
    ii) does not require an antenna to be mounted outside the house

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Vodafone 3G HSDPA Datacard (€50 a month) is another option. IBB Ripwave is notoriously bad and would teh last option while O2 3G has a really low cap and charges over €900 a Gigabyte if you go over this 2Gb cap .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭trent

Looking for cheapest option as usage would be limited to <20 hours and want BB only for browsing and e-mail.
    Omitted IBB from original post because of comments in previous posts on the poor service. That said Clearwire also seems to be getting alot of negative feedback recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Clearwire in some cases is as bad/worse than the notorious Ripwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Clearwire will probably suffice if you're only going to be doing a bit of browsing and email checking. It's no good for just about everything else. That said, it's probably worth considering one of those 3G cards, adds the ability to take it on the move with you and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I've had Ripwave over 2 months not a problem with it..online billing works sweet invoice/receipt arrives when it's supposed, steady 500kbs or so download, no cap...it was a good introduction to Broadband for me but I'm switching to BT as it's pointless for me have a 2nd phone line and not utilizing it..plus a much better BB connection, hopefully:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Are NTL an option for you? They seem to be upgrading areas again? I'm in Dublin 8 (Inchicore area) and I literally just got a call to say that I can apparently get NTL BB now. Maybe they might now cover your area?

Oops just saw that NTL BB not available to you. They may now have new areas so its possibly worth checking again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Try the ripwave - If you get a good service in your area its ideal for browsing and email.

Though if it does not work or you are not happy with the service just cancel the service with IBB and return it within a 28 days - money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Try the ripwave - If you get a good service in your area its ideal for browsing and email.

Though if it does not work or you are not happy with the service just cancel the service with IBB and return it within a 28 days - money back.

Has anyone cancelled it? no problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Has anyone cancelled it? no problems?

Why should there be? it's non contract..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭trent

According to the IBB website there is a contract with Ripwave

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=82

At any rate their coverage map says Ripwave is not available in my area but that I could get their Breeze package (1Mb 48:1 €35.99 inc VAT). From the picture on the website seems as though this involves installing a mast which is not an option as it's a rented house.

E-mailed ntl yesterday to see if their coverage had improved so maybe they'll come back with good news...

• Advertisement
Advertisement