Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform

Options
  • 10-10-2006 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Hi, Looking for some advise... :)

I have a years experience of Java now through work but no training to speak of.

Looking to get some java qualifications...
    Product description...
    Product Description

The Sun Certified Programmer for Java 2 Platform 5.0 certification exam is for programmers experienced using the Java programming language.
    Achieving this certification provides clear evidence that a programmer understands the basic syntax and structure of the Java programming language and can create Java technology applications that run on server and desktop systems using J2SE 5.0.
    from http://uk.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/CX-310-055.xml

Basically, I enjoy working with java more than C/C++ and I want to have a bit more on my CV in case ... I need it!

Are these certifications actively looked for by employers or is it just previous experience that counts ?

Cheers,
    Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The old chestnut over experience or bits of paper. :)

If your going for a job experience + paper wins out, then its a toss up after that based on the company.

The SCJP5 is a worthwhile exam and well reconised by nearly every Java shop.

It is also not an exam you can just doddle into without studying for it. Even with Java experience.

If your going that route (I've passed the 1.4 and doing 5.0 now) I recommend the following based on experience.

Whizlabs exam simulator. Costs but worth it.

SCJP study guide. ISBN 0-07-225360-6 (think its been renamed to Java X study guide). Its written by two of the people who wrote the exams. Very good book imho.

Also http://jchq.net is a good online resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

My opinion: SCJP does not count for much. It tests on the programming language itself (basic syntax and structure) which is kind of pointless given that most modern dev shops will be using NetBeans, Eclipse or some such which are really helpful on all syntax and structure issues. It's like being able to spell really really well: not much point if everybody has a spell checker. If I saw it on a CV it would be a "great that he/she has it, but it does not tell me much".

All that said it's not a no brainer to pass.

The SC Dev & Arch certifications seems like a much more sensible exams. Go some way to telling you how good a developer the person is.

PaschalNee wrote:
    All that said it's not a no brainer to pass.

[edit] .. I can't read :/ dam you double negatives [/edit]

5.0 covers coding conventions and JavaBeans as part of the exam. Also a majority of the questions are now Code building questions.

Yes there is a lot of stuff in there that you may never need to know again (like octal number) however it tests a lot more then the 1.4 exam and quite a bit of it covers areas that a good programmer in Java will have to know to code decent applications.

If you want no-brainer try the associate exam.
    The SC Dev & Arch certifications seems like a much more sensible exams.

Which you can't sit until you have passed the SCJP5.0

Architect exam is probably worth it but the Dev exam has been a bit screwed up with all the online sites where you can just buy your project and submit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Thanks for the advise guys. Very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Hobbes wrote:
    Which you can't sit until you have passed the SCJP5.0

Architect exam is probably worth it but the Dev exam has been a bit screwed up with all the online sites where you can just buy your project and submit it.

Do you really need to pass SCJP before you can do the Architect exams? Looking at the website, it appears that there are no prerequistes (although it does recommend that you have them).
    http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/scea.xml

Would it be asking too much to try the Architect exams without having done SCJP and SCJD first?

• Advertisement

Your correct. Architect one you do not need the programmer one. Developer one you do.

It is also one of the hardest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

brianon wrote:
    Hi, Looking for some advise... :)

I have a years experience of Java now through work but no training to speak of.

Looking to get some java qualifications...
    Product description...

from http://uk.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/CX-310-055.xml

Basically, I enjoy working with java more than C/C++ and I want to have a bit more on my CV in case ... I need it!

Are these certifications actively looked for by employers or is it just previous experience that counts ?

Cheers,
    Brian.

I did the SCJP 1.4 exam over a year ago. I certainly think that it helped my to get interviews, and it was mentioned by almost every single interviewer. It is definately a widely known and recognised certfication amongst most companies out there. BTW The SCJP 1.4 was no picnic but by all accounts the SCJP 5 exam has upped the ante considerably more.

Of course as you gather more experience the SCJP becommes less and less relevant, but I think for a graduate of someone with relatively little experience it is a worthwhile excercise and will certainly do no harm to your job prospects.

I just uploaded the SCJD assignment yesterday for the brand new java 6 platform (did a very quick test as it was only released in the last few days). I found the project to be quite time consuming but I did learn alot from doing it. I wouldn't reccomend doing it while working full time unless you are into your S&M tho :D . You do miss out on the finer things in life like sleep and talking to people for a few months.

Mark

Advertisement