Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband

Options
  • 10-10-2006 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting utv broadband in because of the offer
    of unlimited for the extra 5.99 a month. Has anyone got this?
    Im just lookin for some info on it before i go ahead and order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

HAve the UTV broadband - never had any problems with it and using it for well over a year now. I spend the extra 5.99 for unlimited and have a son who downloads lots of moveis etc and we've had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 holden

got the unlimited 3mbit plan and it's wicked. never heard a word from them about my downloads etc. so i would say it's well worth the 5.99€ to get rid of the dl limit. don't understand why not more people go with them, really.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There were a few posts on this a little while ago and the people who had opted for it seemed happy - they are probably far too busy downloading to come back to boards! Seriously though the absence of any complaints here recently about UTV would suggest that there customers are happy with them at the moment.
    Silence on a company is usually a good thing.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ya looks like im gonna move to utv today. Im with netsource and getting
    robbed for a unlimited package and i cant ever see smart sorting the $hit out.
    thx lads.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ricey wrote:
    Ya looks like im gonna move to utv today. Im with netsource and getting
    robbed for a unlimited package and i cant ever see smart sorting the $hit out.
    thx lads.

If you are on a Smart enabled exchange (i.e. one of the exchanges from which Smart offer broadband and phone service) there should be no problem with Smart. The llu customers are ok (apart from those who were cut off by Eircom unfortunately)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah im with utv for over a year now meself..and very happy with them..have the 2mb and unlimited option meself..never had any problem with them except for when there was an otuage once and i reset my router thinking it was my router and then had to ring up and ask what the settings were for a router in ireland..stupid me :(

but apart from that there great and never hear from them about my downloading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 meckbah

I'm looking to sign up with UTV as well. On their unlimited package it does have some terms and conditions about fair usage. Can anyone tell me if I would be effected by this. I stream live video footbage of baseball and basketball games from the states. They can last up to 4 hours a game. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Weird. My computer won't let me into the broadband part of the utv site.

My exchange aint active for smart yet so iv more or less givin up
    all hope on them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Does UTV have an online Bandwidth Monitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

CarefulNow wrote:
    Does UTV have an online Bandwidth Monitor?

well if your a utv broadband customer youm can go to u.tv/csie and login there with your utc account info and check how much youve downloaded and uploaded..

and meckbah im not sure how much bandwidth that would take up now..but i can say that i hit 50 gb download and a good few gb's upload most months and never heard anything from utv..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

IgsTer wrote:
    well if your a utv broadband customer youm can go to u.tv/csie and login there with your utc account info and check how much youve downloaded and uploaded..

and meckbah im not sure how much bandwidth that would take up now..but i can say that i hit 50 gb download and a good few gb's upload most months and never heard anything from utv..

Ditto. Haven't noticed any traffic shaping, port blocking or throttling either. You know the bit about reserving the right to move you to share contention with other heavy downloaders but only during peak hours. Never even noticed any of that and I have been downloading torrents on 2 PC's at home 24/7 for the last 4 weeks! I'm looking at about 100 gigs downloaded over a 4 week period. Luckily this has straddled 2 calender billing months. ie I don't expect UTV to bat an eyelid at 55 last month and another 55 this month whereas had I done this in synce with the calender month I may have gotten a warning.

IN answer to the OP's question about streaming baseball. The mother signed up to the Big brother live streams this Summer and they were on 12/7 for the duration of BB. Even including all the rest of the families bandwidth usage (which is considerable) I think the most we did in one month during the Ssummer was 47gigs or thereabouts. Don't think you have anything to worry about.

50 gigs thats only kids stuff...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Been using UTVip for over 3 years with no problems whatsoever. I think they use BT's network, so you get the technical quality of that without the BT billing hell :eek:

If I do have to call them ("Can I have 3Mbps please?") I always get a real person with a nice northern accent, not some IVR hell...

But if you want to download 24/7, then, er... they're terrible! (Don't be increasing my contention ratio :D )

Advertisement