Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dvb-h handsets

• 10-10-2006 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

hi.
    anyone know when dvb-h will be available with the irish networks?

and anyone know what handsets currently have dvb-h tuners on them?

specifically, do any windows mobile ppc-phones have dvb-h technology yet?

and when this format emerges in the near future does anyone know what the likely business model will be? e.g will some channels be fta?

any info much appreciated.
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So many questions. Are you contemplating a purchase, by any chance? :D

You should start hanging around pocketpcthoughts.com and xda-developers.com, there are some very knowledgable people around there who may be able to answer a few specific questions for you.

I believe there was a dvb-h trial in Cambridge, UK, either this year or last. Maybe if you Google for that it might give you some more info. I don't know of any PPC devices with dvb-h, but I did post a link here some time back to a SDIO dvb-h card made by Phillips. I'll see if I can find the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

tom dunne wrote:
    So many questions. Are you contemplating a purchase, by any chance? :D

You should start hanging around pocketpcthoughts.com and xda-developers.com, there are some very knowledgable people around there who may be able to answer a few specific questions for you.

I believe there was a dvb-h trial in Cambridge, UK, either this year or last. Maybe if you Google for that it might give you some more info. I don't know of any PPC devices with dvb-h, but I did post a link here some time back to a SDIO dvb-h card made by Phillips. I'll see if I can find the link.

thanks for that tom.
    yeah i'm STILL considering what ppc-phone to get.
    tbh i didn't expect dvb-h to be integrated into one of these devices yet but i just thought i'd ask.

tbh the query was more about dvb-h in general which seems like a fairly cool technology.

that sdio dvb-h adapter sounds interesting though. unfortunately it won't be much use on the newer ppc-phones coming out using mini sd and micro (wtf?) sd.

i'll check out that cambridge trial. btw i've just learned that 3 are talking about trialling dvb-h in ireland as well.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

Did a search and found this article - does this meand DVB-H only works on specially enabled handsets then?

3 to trial live broadcast TV over mobile

3, Ireland’s mobile media network, is pleased to announce that it has been awarded a licence by ComReg to trial broadcast TV services over mobile handsets. The licence takes effect immediately and runs for one year.

DVB-H is a technology specifically developed for broadcasting live television channels via mobile handsets. Broadcast mobile TV transmitted via DVB-H has the potential to bring a number of consumer benefits including:

* Access to many live TV channels.
    * An enhanced customer experience through new functionality such as interactive TV.
    * High-quality pictures and sound without delays, freezing or buffering.
    * An efficient delivery system which reduces battery consumption.

Robert Finnegan, 3’s Managing Director commented: “3 Italy was first in Europe to launch broadcast TV over mobile, so as a Group we are already leading the development of this new technology. Ireland has a high take-up of digital TV services compared to many EU countries with 42% of all households using digital TV services. DVB-H brings the benefits of Digital TV to mobile. Mobile TV is important to 3 and to the Irish market, as consumers demand more sophisticated mobile services.”

The Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources, Mr Noel Dempsey, TD, said: “I welcome all developments in the digital television area. It is particularly important that Ireland rolls out a digital terrestrial television network in the coming years and that the full range of digital services become available to the Irish citizen.”

3’s sister company in Italy launched its DVB-H service called WalkTV earlier this year and is already broadcasting mobile TV to a large audience, with 140,000 customers signing up in just six weeks.

3’s DVB-H tests in Ireland follow the success of a range of TV content available on 3 from Barclays Premiership highlights and the best of Father Ted, to 3’s own music channel hosted by Tom Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I phoned their customer services asking about it, but they are tight-lipped, apparently the customer service reps are kept in the dark and litterally told on the launch day. There are Nokia handsets that support DVB-H but they are more like tablets then phones. 3 will probably stream the channels on their 3G network to provide services to existing handset owners who dont have/dont want to have a DVB-H handset. What I am interested to know is if they will give us interested in the trial a handset to test, because I would certainly be one of the first to apply for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

the only nokia dvb-h handsets are the 7710 which is discontinued and the n92 which was just a concept.
    The only windows mobile dvb-h handset is the lobster which is a wm5 smartphone and it was released by virgin for their dvb-h service heres a link:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=247039

at the moment there are no pocketpc dvb-h devices, so mkennedy youll have to wait!!i think there is one in the pipeline.

regards
    damo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

damo86 wrote:
    the only nokia dvb-h handsets are the 7710 which is discontinued and the n92 which was just a concept.
    The only windows mobile dvb-h handset is the lobster which is a wm5 smartphone and it was released by virgin for their dvb-h service heres a link:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=247039

at the moment there are no pocketpc dvb-h devices, so mkennedy youll have to wait!!i think there is one in the pipeline.

regards
    damo

thanks damo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

From reading that review, it looks like dvb-h is in the "it's arrived, but isn't quite here yet" category. One of the main uses I would have for dvb-h would be watching stuff on the train. From reading that review, watching tv while mobile just doesn't seem to work.

Also, they use the DAB spectrum - we don't do DAB, so I assume 3 are going to use the 3G spectrum (as opposed to streaming tv over a standard 3G connection). I wonder how that will work out. Time will tell, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

tom dunne wrote:
    From reading that review, it looks like dvb-h is in the "it's arrived, but isn't quite here yet" category. One of the main uses I would have for dvb-h would be watching stuff on the train. From reading that review, watching tv while mobile just doesn't seem to work.

Also, they use the DAB spectrum - we don't do DAB, so I assume 3 are going to use the 3G spectrum (as opposed to streaming tv over a standard 3G connection). I wonder how that will work out. Time will tell, I suppose.
    ahhh great...if its using 3g its gonna suck ass big time, unless thy do something about the quality of 3g..yes time will tell,in the meantime,continue ripping those dvds!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I own the (one of) the first dvb-h trialed phones, check my sig, i'm currently selling it.

nokia 7710 - but you need an antennae for it, don't even know if it'll still receive anything - but cool that it has the capability no?

Advertisement