Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "I declare my support for Steve Staunton" Thread

• 10-10-2006 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

OK - I've come in for stick here on Saturday and again on Monday for stating my support for Steve Staunton.

I don't believe that he should be fired and I think the media hype around him is getting too much.

So if you SUPPORT Stan, post a message here and let's see if there are many Stan Supporters out there.

Slumped

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

While his actions are proof of his inexperience, I think that we would still have lost (maybe not by 3 goals though) to Cyprus based on the way the players performed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

You know, the chap does have alot of things to learn and really shouldn't have been given the job. BUT!, it isin't his fault, its the FAI's. So yeah, i don't think he should be sacked yet, its pretty early days yet so give him a chance

1337stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ponster wrote:
    While his actions are proof of his inexperience, I think that we would still have lost (maybe not by 3 goals though) to Cyprus based on the way the players performed.
    We don't know what would have happened if he'd have fielded the best team. I certainly didn't think we'd win when I saw the lineup.

I did actually feel sorry for Staunton watching his press conference today but I still want him out. Obviously I want Delaney out too but he won't be going while Stan is still there. If we lose against the Czechs then the FAI would be better off financially by paying Stan off. Appointing a new proven manager would still get us full houses at Croker imo as there'll be new found optimism. If Stan is in charge we'll be doing very well to get 50,000. We're talking about a difference of over €1m per match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I support Stan. Ive been saying it all along, you support your team through thick and thin - this includes players, managers, coaching staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I have a feeling he wont be let go even if we do get a hammering tommorrow night. I think the FAI will allow him to see out his two year campaign. Personally I dont think he is the right man for the job but the fact is he is our manager tomorrow night and its still our country so I will be supporting the team tomorrow night unlike others who actually want us to lose so they can rant and rave until he is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Oh I'll back Stan. Not so sure I feel the same way about some of the players tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

gimmick wrote:
    I support Stan. Ive been saying it all along, you support your team through thick and thin - this includes players, managers, coaching staff.

theres a difference between supporting, and not having faith in your manager.

i support ireland, but im not going to blindly support staunton for the simple reason that i think hes crap, hes out of his depth and he just doesnt have what it takes to take ireland forward.
    ireland have been going backwards for the last 8 years.

at one time we were around the top 10 in the world. now we are, i dont know, where are we? 30s 40s?
    ireland is a shambles. its governing body is a shambles. its coaching staff are a shambles, and the players are a shambles.

a good kick up the arse, a proper management structure in the governing body and run it like a business, and most importantly, the right coaching staff to get what players we have left playing, to play properly.

but that doesnt mean i dont support ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I supported him alot more a few days ago. As each day goes past I find myself supporting him less and less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

eirebhoy wrote:
    We don't know what would have happened if he'd have fielded the best team. I certainly didn't think we'd win when I saw the lineup.

ah eirebhoy in fairness have a look at how many premiership players we had starting.... and then have a look at how mant top flight players the cypriots started... we should have won no matter what the line-up. the cypriots are lucky to be a professional team, 103rd in the world and generally the whipping boys of every group they're in. It was our shortcomings that won cyprus the game, not the cypriots performance.

people forget that 6 of the 8 players missing (carr not included as he is retired) played in the holland game,and we all know what happened there

VinnyL wrote:
    ah eirebhoy in fairness have a look at how many premiership players we had starting.... and then have a look at how mant top flight players the cypriots started... we should have won no matter what the line-up. the cypriots are lucky to be a professional team, 103rd in the world and generally the whipping boys of every group they're in. It was our shortcomings that won cyprus the game, not the cypriots performance.
    I didn't think we'd win before the match and I said so elsewhere when I seen the predicted lineup. imo playing Kilbane and Ireland in the centre is as foolish as playing Finnan and O'Shea at centre half. The difference is, O'Shea and Finnan would have roles. They'd both be playing as centre backs. I think central midfield roles are a lot more complicated and by the looks of things the 2 lads were told to just go out and play with very few instructions. Even a Douglas-Kilbane partnership would have made a huge difference and our defence wouldn't have been under half as much pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Give the man a contract extension! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

I can't support him but I think it's wrong that the media are hasselling his parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Stan, in person, is probably a nice guy. I have no doubt that he is doing his best for the Irish team, as his ability will dictate. He simply does not posess the skill-set to manage an International team. That skill-set is varied, but the most important skill is experience. He simply does not posess the experience to manage the team.

He does not have the ability to deal with the media. He does not have the ability to accept that when he is wrong, he's wrong. His histrionics about Lee Carsley are childish.

The Irish team is not a platform for blooding players, it is an platform for representing a nation, and should be treated as such.

If Stan has an issue with reporters harrassing his parents, ring up their editors directly and deal with it. Or report them to the Garda for harresment. Do not use a ROI press conference to air your "personal" views on this situation, and deflect from the real issue which is your inability to manage an international team.

Stan should go, he should not have been appointed in the first place. When he goes, Delaney should not be too far behind him. If anybody is to blame for the state of Irish international soccer it is Delaney and him alone, not Stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Hobart wrote:

Stan should go, he should not have been appointed in the first place. When he goes, Delaney should not be too far behind him. If anybody is to blame for the state of Irish international soccer it is Delaney and him alone, not Stan.

Agreed totally ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

slumped wrote:
    OK - I've come in for stick here on Saturday and again on Monday for stating my support for Steve Staunton.

I don't believe that he should be fired and I think the media hype around him is getting too much.

So if you SUPPORT Stan, post a message here and let's see if there are many Stan Supporters out there.

Slumped

You should rename this thread to "I declare my desire for Ireland to descend further into footballing mediocrity."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Lets give him another 12 hours - then we can rid of him. Ireland will lose tonight but Stan will not be sacked because the FAI cannot afford to sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

If the FAI can't afford to sack him, he's too stubborn to quit!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I support Stan. C'mon Ireland!

finnpark wrote:
    Lets give him another 12 hours - then we can rid of him. Ireland will lose tonight but Stan will not be sacked because the FAI cannot afford to sack him.
    Considering how much Stan wanted this job I'd be suprised if the FAI didn't put 1 or 2 clauses in his contract to avoid a big payout. It's not as if Stan is going to argue with them.

Anyway, for every 10,000 people that go to the matches in Croker there's about €500k per match for the FAI. I'm sure they'd be better off financially by letting him go if we lose tonight as we won't be close to filling out Croker with him in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I was always of the opinion that Brian Kerr deserved a new contract. If he got fired becuase they had lined up Marcelo Lippi for the job then I would still have disagreed with the decision. I felt and still feel he did well with what he had and deserved another campaign at the least.

The fact that he was fired with no one lined up, that the FAI didn't realise that it wasn't the sort of job that would attract a "big name" that those idiotic show boating cocktards wanted and that he wasn't rehired when became apparant that all that could be attracted was a total novice and a semi-senile goes so far towards showing the arrogance and venality of Irish football beauracracy. These people actually admire the English FA and want to be that much of a fúcking circus. The less said about John "Cancer at the heart of Irish Football" Delaney the better. How many better men has he knobbled at this stage to the get the top job? And what has he done with it?

I can't support Stan even though I feel sorry for him. If he had any sense he would have said " No. I haven't a clue what I'm doing". At least all he's guilty of is professional ambition. The FAI is guilty of gross mismanagement and blatant stupidity. The whole situation is a disaster, I would myself almost wishing Ireland would lose by even more against Cyprus, in the hope that an even worse result would get rid of a manager who isn't up to it but more importantly effect some sort of change in the running of the game in this country.

These people's priority should be the league of Ireland. All the want to do is sip champagne with Sepp fúcking Blatter. Any humiliation would be worth it to get rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

13 players not available and we should sack the manager. It wont solve the problem, its just passing around the blame for something nobody has control over

Dempsey wrote:
    13 players not available and we should sack the manager. It wont solve the problem, its just passing around the blame for something nobody has control over

If an Eircom league team can beat the Cypriot champions, then an Irish team containing numerous Premiership players should be able to beat Cyprus.

There is absolutely no excuse for the spineless, unorganised perfromance we put in.

Rosco1982 wrote:
    If an Eircom league team can beat the Cypriot champions, then an Irish team containing numerous Premiership players should be able to beat Cyprus.

There is absolutely no excuse for the spineless, unorganised perfromance we put in.

Your comparison is stupid. None of the best Cypriot players play in the Cypriot League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dempsey wrote:
    Your comparison is stupid. None of the best Cypriot players play in the Cypriot League.

Quite a few of the squad do though.

Cyprus squad
    Goalkeepers: Michalis Morphis (APOEL FC), Antonis Giorgallides (AC Omonia)

Defenders: Marios Elia (APOEL FC), Loukas Louka (Anorthosis Famagusta FC), Georgos Theodotou (AC Omonia), Lambros Lambrou (Anorthosis Famagusta FC), Christis Theophilou (Apollon Limassol FC), Andreas Konstantinou (AEK Larnaca FC)

Midfielders: Marinos Satsias (APOEL FC), Konstantinos Makrides (APOEL FC), Chrysostomos Michael (APOEL FC), Efstathios Aloneftis (Larissa FC), Alexandros Garpozis (FC Xanthi), Konstantinos Charalampidis (PAOK FC), Elias Charalambous (PAOK FC)

Forwards: Yiannis Okkas (Olympiacos CFP), Nektarios Alexandrou (Larissa FC), Yiasoumis Yiasoumi (PAOK FC), Michalis Konstantinou (Olympiacos CFP)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Meh, I'll support whoever is in charge, that includes Stan for the moment regardless of the choices he has made. You can always support but make your points known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thick and thin lads.

Now I shall ask, was tonights result acceptable? Or should something else have happened?

I repeat, the best players dont play in Cyprus and Konstantinou is the prime example of this and their best player on the night. There are others but he was by far the best

Dempsey wrote:

Really ? So seven of the Cypriot XI didn't play agianst Cork ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Rosco1982 wrote:
    Really ? So seven of the Cypriot XI didn't play agianst Cork ?

What part of best don't you understand?
    B
    E
    S
    T

• Advertisement

sjones wrote:
    What part of best don't you understand?
    B
    E
    S
    T

Wouldn't the best Cypriot players be the ones that line out for the national side ?

If you want to say the best of the players that played on the night, well thats a different argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Staunton is the worst manager Ireland have ever had , how anyone can support him i don't know , his only experience of mangement was as assistant manager to an alcoholic manager at Walsall . Its not Stauntans fault that he got the job, thats the FAI's , but he is clueless and his communication is pitifull -- everytime i hear him interviewed i cringe -- we were "magnificent" last night again -- hang on we only drew with a poorish Czech team at home , who looked like they came for the draw . Pathetic.
    How come , the man who made the difference - Lee Carsley, has been left out prior , when he is playing his best football of his career for Everton, and we so obviously miss an agressive midfielder since Roy Keanes departure.
    Roll on the day we get a decent professional manager, and not a puppet for the FAi , the skit on Apres match summed it up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

It's a disgrace that this guy is the national team manager.

He knows nothing about managing (and was a complete shyte player too)

Sack him now and the clown who put him there.

Pal wrote:
    He knows nothing about managing (and was a complete shyte player too)

Nonsense. You don't get 102 caps for any country and go to three World Cups if you're a "shyte player".

Staunton was capped over 100 times because he was so ****e and there was nobody better? Whats that smell?

EDIT: And what JoeSoap said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Nonsense. You don't get 102 caps for any country and go to three World Cups if you're a "shyte player".
    Not to mention a full set of domestic medals.

• Advertisement

Pal wrote:

(and was a complete shyte player too)

You've done your argument absolutely no favours by adding in that stupid statement, as MrJoeSoap says "you don't get 102 caps for being a "shyte player""

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I'm entitled to my opinion and
    I have watched him play often enough.

Staunton could tackle ok but after that it was row Z.
    He couldn't pass or cross for nuts.
    He was a bit better than Kilbane but still shyte.

Pal wrote:
    I'm entitled to my opinion and
    I have watched him play often enough.

Staunton could tackle ok but after that it was row Z.
    He couldn't pass or cross for nuts.
    He was a bit better than Kilbane but still shyte.

ROFLMAO ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The mind boggles.

How many goals did Staunton scored directly from corner kicks?

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote:

I remember one against the North at Lansdowne anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Steve Staunton was a good / avereage player imo. I personally think Gary Neville is a "shyte" player but I dare not argue with his caps and medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Staunton was a decent full back for Ireland with a good left foot, but he was never a great, such as Denis Irwin. But just cause he played for Ireland, got a 100 caps , and was liked , does not mean he was going to become a good manager . Experience is the test to see if a player will become a good manager , you don't employ a good player with no experience, to manage your country, particlularly a poor communicator such as Stan . Yes ,Germany got lucky with Klinsman, but he knew how to play up to the media , but how many good players turned out to be rubbish managers - Bryan Robson , Liam Brady , even look at Stuart Pearce (the ultimate pro ) struggling at Man City .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Yeah you do. Look at that Saudi goalkeeper Mohamed Al-Deayea for instance. He's played in 3 world cups , has about 180 caps and is utter rubbish imho.
    Dempsey wrote:

For Ireland? Two. One against Norn Iron in 1993 and another one previous v Portugal in 1992 (boston iirc?). I'm pretty sure I saw him do it at club level too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

:eek::eek:

Tell me he is still somewhere in Louth. Its where he should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Kinda sad seeing eirebhoy in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement