Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting rationel patio doors

Options
  • 10-10-2006 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

I have a DIY question for yez. I have just painted my rationel patio doors.They were that orangey pine colour that I wasn't that fond of. I sanded down the wood to remove the varnish and I gave them 2 coats of homebase's quick drying primer/undercoat and then toped it off with 2 coats of farrow and ball's exterior eggshell (oil based). There is a narrow rubber seal between the wood and the glass. This seal takes the place of putty in more old fashioned windows. I painted right up to the glass, covering the seal. Should I have done that? Will the paint flake off the rubber? Should I have painted just to the edge of the seal? By the way, it looks fab!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

mags16 wrote:
    it looks fab!

I had a smile when I read that bit...Well tbh you shouldnt of painted the rubber part,the paint will make it hard and brittle as this acts as a seal. But theory and practical dont always go hand in hand....

Well you did a good job on the preparation anyway,good on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shavoh

I wouldn't worry. I did the same with rationel windows 10 years ago (except I just painted ovber the varnish)and never had a problem with flaking.

Advertisement