Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with wireless connection

• 10-10-2006 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi guys,

A few months back I got ESAT BT broadband and decided to get a wireless router. I am now using the ZyXEL Prestige 660W router.
    My wireless router is located in my hallway and I have no problem with my wireless connection when I use my laptop
    from my sitting room. However from any where else in the house I can only sometimes establish a network connection and on the rare occasion that I do establish a connection it drops as soon as I try to connect to the internet etc. When in my kitchen my laptop would only be 18 feet or so from the router but the connection continually drops.

I have read the article on tomsnetworking referred to in the FAQ's and as a result slightly changed the location of my router but this has not improved the situation. Im not sure about interference, I don’t have a cordless phone and the microwave is never in use while I’m using my laptop.
    I have used Netstumber to have a look at surrounding (visible) networks and there are 4 or 5 but none are on the same channel - I am using channel 6. If it is some kind of interference would it not exist all over the house?

Also I previously updated the firmware on my router.

Can anyone give me a few pointers as to why I might be having this problem or further analysis I could carry out to try identify the source of the problem?

Cheers
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Beagle Boy

Anybody at all got any tips on this issue - tried a number of bits and pieces in the last week - even went as far as to reset my router to the default factory settings and setup WPA again:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Beagle Boy wrote:
    Anybody at all got any tips on this issue - tried a number of bits and pieces in the last week - even went as far as to reset my router to the default factory settings and setup WPA again:confused:
    It sounds as though the Zyxel signal just isn't strong enough for you to connect to it. Netstumbler should show you the signal strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Beagle Boy

Foxwood wrote:
    It sounds as though the Zyxel signal just isn't strong enough for you to connect to it. Netstumbler should show you the signal strength.

Hey I cheked the signal with NetStumbler and the SNR is 63 in my sitting room (where the connection is fine) and its 47 in my kitchen. Would a value of 47 indicate that the signal is not strong enough?

Advertisement