Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what should i do?

Options
  • 10-10-2006 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to sort out my home situation when it comes to broadband and my phone bill. I currently get my broadband off eircom(3mb business package), i rent two lines off them, one for my phoneline and one for broadband. My phone service is provided by bt. I'm not on any sort of package with them and was considering changing onto their bt talk plus package.

I was just wondering what is the cheapest combination of line rental, broadband and home phone bill. My home phone bill is on average 60 euro to bt and 162 euro to eircom.Thats a bi monthly phone bill. Any help will be appreciated and i'm open to voip suggestions as long as someone can tell me whats the best way to go around it.

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Thanks looks like what i'm looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

requiem1 wrote:
    I'm trying to sort out my home situation when it comes to broadband and my phone bill. I currently get my broadband off eircom(3mb business package), i rent two lines off them, one for my phoneline and one for broadband. My phone service is provided by bt. I'm not on any sort of package with them and was considering changing onto their bt talk plus package.

I was just wondering what is the cheapest combination of line rental, broadband and home phone bill. My home phone bill is on average 60 euro to bt and 162 euro to eircom.Thats a bi monthly phone bill. Any help will be appreciated and i'm open to voip suggestions as long as someone can tell me whats the best way to go around it.
    Have you considered getting rid of one of the lines? The major advantage of DSL is that it doesn't interfere with ordinary use of the phone, so you can be online with broadband while still using your phone for calls.

That's a major saving right there. Switching your broadband to BT, and availaing of the Total Talk bundle will give you free calls to Ireland and the UK, your line rental and your 3MB BB for €63/month. That'd be €126 for 2 months, about €100 less than you're currently paying (less any international calls or calls to 1890/1850 numbers).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Foxwood wrote:
    Have you considered getting rid of one of the lines? The major advantage of DSL is that it doesn't interfere with ordinary use of the phone, so you can be online with broadband while still using your phone for calls.

That's a major saving right there. Switching your broadband to BT, and availaing of the Total Talk bundle will give you free calls to Ireland and the UK, your line rental and your 3MB BB for €63/month. That'd be €126 for 2 months, about €100 less than you're currently paying (less any international calls or calls to 1890/1850 numbers).
    Agreed. If you need the second line and have to keep it you'll still be saving.

Foxwood wrote:

That sounds like a plan, i'll probably do that tomorrow. its my parents that told me we have two lines, should i switch my line rental payments over to bt aswell or will they charge me more cause they're still using eircom lines, or are they not?:confused:

• Advertisement

requiem1 wrote:
    That sounds like a plan, i'll probably do that tomorrow. its my parents that told me we have two lines, should i switch my line rental payments over to bt aswell or will they charge me more cause they're still using eircom lines, or are they not?:confused:
    I presume you want to keep the "phone" line, as it has the number that people already know and use. So call BT and order their Broadband & Total Talk package on that line. That will give you 3MB DSL, Line Rental and "free" calls for a single payment of €63/month (plus any "non-free" calls such as international calls and calls to 1890/1850 numbers).

Once you have that package up and running, cancel the broadband on the other line. Once the broadband is gone, cancel the line itself.

Don't cancel the existing BB until you're satisfied with the new service. (Sure, you'll be paying for 2 BB contracts for a week or two, but you'll save that extravagance very quickly wih the new setup).

Note that if you have the DSL on the other line less than 6 or 12 months (depending on contract), you may have issues cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This site is still telling me to go to Smart for a combined package!?

Load of bolx tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

why is it bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

esel wrote:
    This site is still telling me to go to Smart for a combined package!?

Load of bolx tbh.
    smart are keeping and will continue to sign up new LLU customers. sounds like you really don't know that you're talking about.

is there a difference between eircom and bt broadband cause i have an adsl router and if i change over to bt is that going to mean i need a dsl router?

• Advertisement

requiem1 wrote:
    is there a difference between eircom and bt broadband cause i have an adsl router and if i change over to bt is that going to mean i need a dsl router?
    No. DSL is just shorthand for ADSL. BT are just reselling eircoms service, so your phoneline will be connected to the same equipment in the exchange no matter who you get it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

sleur wrote:
    smart are keeping and will continue to sign up new LLU customers. sounds like you really don't know that you're talking about.

My bad! Doh.

Does this mean that I don't have to change my voice line and calls from Smart to some other provider? I have BB with BT and was going to go with their 2Mb or 3Mb all-in packages.

Not your ornery onager

Foxwood wrote:
    so your phoneline will be connected to the same equipment in the exchange no matter who you get it from.

Phew i really didn't want to have to pay out for a new router thanks dude:)

esel wrote:
    My bad! Doh.

Does this mean that I don't have to change my voice line and calls from Smart to some other provider? I have BB with BT and was going to go with their 2Mb or 3Mb all-in packages.
    Uness you have Smarts Broadband (and it's associated voice service), eircom has aready disconnected you from Smarts voice network. You can only make local and national calls on your line until you select a new Voice provider (you have a week left to do that, before eircom cut you off entirely). Can you call mobile numbers at the moment?

Only Smart BB customers are still getting voice service from Smart. If your BB is form anyone else, then you will have to sign up with a new provider. In your case it's a pretty easy decision - BT's Broadband and Voice bundles are the best deal out there for people who aren't on Smart enabled exchanges.

Advertisement