Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas lights already!!!

Options
  • 10-10-2006 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Passing the Unicorn in Raheen this evening I was amazed to see Christmas lights hung all over the building including a little potted fir tree all lit up. Is this the first Christmas decorated building in Limerick this year or is the Unicorn always lit up this way? :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Always, last year the got a company in to design an amzingly striking blue lighting design for the front of the building, come christmas they put those lights over it.. to this day both the cool lighting is on, and also those christmas lights!!

BUT, it was about this time last year the lights in the city went up (i remember it was before Halloween) so anytime soon now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Christmas should be banned till after halloween

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The unicorn had those lights up in August.I think they keep them up all year round and I dont think there meant to be Christmas lights. I think there just meant to be party atmosphere sorta lights.

They put them up for last christmas and never took them down (see above)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

BUT, it was about this time last year the lights in the city went up (i remember it was before Halloween) so anytime soon now...
    No, it wasn't, they went up last year on sunday the 6th of november and were turned on shortly afterwards but that was only because the lights were new. The City Council was just eager to get them up and working! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

Sunday, October 15th 2006: City council is fixing the chrismas decoration lights between Arthurs Quay SC and Roches. Merry Chrismas!

Isn't there some thing like the national consumer agency or something like them trying to get christmas banned until late november. I'm totally for this as Halloween is just too early!

if you complain in the shops then you'll get as an answer "the consumers wants this that early" - despite everyone is complaining about it.

Yeah, the council lights go up before halloween!

No, I'm all for christmas starting early... to be honest if its not all around i dont start saving, if i dont start saving soon enough then i cant get people stuff

No, I'm all for christmas starting early...

BOO!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Some Xmas lights are already up in town, "Merry xmas from Limerick" being one of them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

The new lights for William/Sarsfield Street went up over the weekend. Not quite sure what I think of them yet. They're certainly very...red. I'll reserve judgement for when I see them turned on tonight (Although they're easily a step up from what we had last year, especially considering the fantastic lights on O'Connell Street).

The new lights on Cruises Street are basically the same as before, just with a few bells and mistletoe lights at the sides. I think some garlandy or wreathy type yokes (to use the technical term) would have been nice 'cos they'd look quite good during the day and there isn't much reason to go up Cruises Street after about 6.

Anyway, nitpicking aside, there's a huge difference between Christmas lights now and 2 years ago. Apparently there'll be another Christmas tree on Thomas Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

Remember when they used to have a bif feck off xmas tree in Arthurs Quay park.And you could see it all the way from the top of Henry street..glowing away..all gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Lights are very pretty. A tad early but I think they rushed it as town has been dead and they are trying to get people in the Christmas shopping mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Oh dear, just got told they were turned on.

Guess who turned them on apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 limkguy

I couldn't believe the official "lights on" was this week in Limerick. Thought they might have waited for december at least!

London got it's chrismas lights switched on last week by a group called All Saints. So of course Limerick couldn't wait any longer! What local celebrity switched it on in Limerick?

But i like the new lights on William Street. And the ones in O'Connell are still nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Well we didnt get the All Saints. I am a little shocked at who did apparently.

Twas the kid who got shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

It's a bit early allright (another week wouldn't have hurt) but they do make town look pretty good. Anything that makes William Street look even half decent has to be a good thing. And of course the lights on O'Connell Street are still fantastic. Also, all the lights on Sarsfield Bridge are on again and St. Mary's Cathedral is lit up by some swirly projector thing - a very nice touch for Christmas on ice. It's clear that alot of effort has been put in and it's great to see.

One slight downer is that the Christmas tree on O'Connell Street looked much better last year.

The lights were turned on by Jordan Crawford (the boy who was shot in South Hill a few weeks ago).

Edit: Apparently the lighting of St. Mary's Cathedral is for the Sionna music festival but hopefully it'll stick around after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Jumpy wrote:
    Twas the kid who got shot.
    :eek:

Who's responsible for deciding that?
    Why wasn't there a big marketing campaign to get people in for the Big Switch On?
    Why didn't they get a celebrity?
    I thought the whole idea was to get people in to the city centre, and as much as I'm sure the little fella was thrilled to get the opportunity after his ordeal I don't think I would have brought my kids in to see the occassion.
    "Who's turning on the lights Daddy? Is it a famous rugby player, pop star, or actor?"
    "No, darling. It's a young victim of the feud. He got shot in the leg by one of his uncle's enemies."
    "Oh.":confused:
    "Happy Christmas, darling!"
    :o

• Advertisement

now, the boy deserves it. he's a unfortunate creature brought up under those miserable conditions. i'm happy for him, only for him. and for sure it is not the boy's fault that it's uncle is the target in a gang war.

at the other hand to choose someone whose family is feud related - that's just insane. what muppet got this idea?!?!?!?

Who of this family was attending the official part of the ceremony?

Well now we know why they kept it as a 'msytery celebrity', on live 95fm they were hinting it might be mark form the breakfast show... if they did reveal it would be him a few gangs might come down to see who was about with him...

Geri Maye or Emma O'Driscoll turning on the lights would have been a highlight compared to who ended up turning them on(and that's saying alot)! It amazes me, the boy who turns them on will probably be the boy who will be throwing rocks at them in a few years. STUPID CITY.

well yeah statistically its likely, but i dont think we should be downing the boy. Emma turned them on before, what about Paul O'Connell or Will Smith or someones?! That'd be good...

Advertisement