Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noisy tire

Options
  • 10-10-2006 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

I got my tires rotated this morning on my 2002 Focus. The mechanic said that there was plenty of wear left in the tires. The thing is, on the drive to work, there is a lot of noise off the front left tire at high speeds (60 - 80 mph). I believe it was the back left tire before. The weird thing is I was getting noise from that side of the car before but dismissed it as just road noise.

Any suggestions on what might be causing the noise? I'm going to check the air pressure on the way home. Should be ok as I've only put air in the tires 2 weeks ago. Wear wise, it seems alright. The noise is hard to describe, like a coarse sound but its constant. Theres also a weird feeling that the tire is sticking as I turn left. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have you had a good look at the offending tyre? If not, I'd do so straight away. It could be damaged, or have something embedded in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I'd say either a bearing has gone, or else the tyre isn't wearing uniformly.

I had a 01 Focus, and the noise from the rear tyres got really bad. I got a new set of four, and the garage showed me that even though the old tyres on it were a decent enough brand, they hadn't worn informly, there seems to be random worn spots on it.

You'd probably have to take the wheel off to get a good look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Thanks for the advice Stky10 and Anan1 !

hmm, could be the wearing thing or damage of some sort. When I originally got the car in May, I had to replace one front tire as it was badly worn due to alignment. Mechanic did say the other three were grand. The garage today also did not say anything when rotating the tires. Looks like I'll need to get a closer inspection of the tire.

It definetly looks like its the tire as it was making noise when it was on the back before. Stky10 were the worn spots obvious or is there something to look for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

You could have tyres make excessive noise if they are of hard rubber and ribbed concrete streets.
    However, you may have a worn bearing also. so the easiest test is switch each tyre in turn with the spare tyre.

Are all the tyres of the same make & model or have you a different brand/type/age on each corner?.
    You indicate you changed 1 tyre. So you have at least have 3 of one type and 1 of another. Change tyres in pairs.

Advertisement