Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid-fuel stove renovation

Options
  • 10-10-2006 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I have acquired an old Reginald wood-burning stove like this one, which I want to renovate. It's pretty rusty.

My plan was to use wire brushes to remove as much of the rust as possible and then paint it with black stove paint.

First of all, does this sound like a good plan?

Secondly, is this kind of stove paint generally available in hardware shops? If not, can anyone recommend a place I can get it (I'm in Dublin).

Any help at all will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I'd suggest that bead blasting will be much more effective than wire brushing, someone from around Dublin can probably suggest where you could get it done at a reasonable price.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Thanks for that.

Can anyone tell me where I can get bead blasting done in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hannah00

As you are getting it bead blasted, you should get it powder coated as stove paint will wear off eventually with the heat. There are loads of blasters in the golden pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Thanks everyone. In the end I just bought a couple of wire brush attachments for the drill and removed the rust that way and then I sprayed it with stove paint.

It looked great but unfortunately once I fired it up it transpired that it was leaking smoke from all around the seal between the top and the sides. Sitting room stinks now :-(.

So it's back in the garden now!

Advertisement