Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best mechwarrior/commander

Options
  • 10-10-2006 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

wana play these again played them when i was younger and renember them being great so any reccomendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Best mech game i remember is earthseige 2

Its anicent now though

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Yeah I also loved the Earth siege series. The games actually had a very sophisticated robot simulation built in. You didn't just shoot robots and blow them up - you could cripple a target by tactically shooting off bits of weaponry and armour. I particularly loved slicing shoulder mounted missile launchers off enemy mechs with rapid auto cannon fire. I probably preferred Earthsiege 1 to 2 but that may be just rose tinted glasses. In my opinion the game went downhill with star siege - the complicated simulation was dumbed down and the game became more of a twitch shooter.

Earth siege lost out in sales terms to the more successful mechwarrior franchise. The only one of these I have played is Mechwarrior 2. That was a good game with lots of fun gameplay but the robot simulation is not nearly as sophisticated as Earthsiege.

I don't know if any of these games can be got to run on a modern windows XP computer though. You should probably try Home of the underdogs and vogons (very old games on new computers) if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hmm thats what we need a new mech game with good gfx and game play like mechwar 2 or earthsiege.

hmm all the old games run on DOS so how would i get that working for games in windows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Used to love Mechwarrior 2. Great game, got it free with my first 3D card. Soundtrack was superb as was the atmosphere. tried to play 3 but it just didn't have the same spark as MW2. I heard MW2 Mercenaries is great but by the time I got my hands on a copy I had upgraded to Windows XP and it wouldn't run on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Mechwarrior 2 mercenaries was by far the best in the series. Then it was Mechwarrior 2, with Mech Commander closing up the rear.

Mercenaries had everything Mechwarrior 2 had, but more. It had bigger, better Mechs. More weapons and more variants. It had the freedom of picking your missions, whether you wanted to skip the harder missions and lose out on the better rewards/mechs or go full thrust for the most difficult missions and risk it all. Also the AI was vastly improved and the addition of the fighters was great too. The only thing it lacked, in my opinion though perhaps for good reason, was the vision enhancement mode from Mech Warrior 2.

That just made MW2 ridiculously easy, in my opinion and as such, it made MW2:Mercenaries that much harder.

Oh and the cut scenes in Mercenaries really added to it, too.

Did I mention mercenaries was great? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've a soft-spot for mech3, the dust/fog was the best yet.

We need some films.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

one of my favorite intros ever
    "Hey panther, did ya miss us?"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQPWE_M_EM

Mech commander and Mech2 Mercenaries are by far the cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Mad Mike wrote:
    Yeah I also loved the Earth siege series. The games actually had a very sophisticated robot simulation built in. You didn't just shoot robots and blow them up - you could cripple a target by tactically shooting off bits of weaponry and armour. I particularly loved slicing shoulder mounted missile launchers off enemy mechs with rapid auto cannon fire. I probably preferred Earthsiege 1 to 2 but that may be just rose tinted glasses. In my opinion the game went downhill with star siege - the complicated simulation was dumbed down and the game became more of a twitch shooter.

Im fairly sure you could do all of these things in MW2/MW2 Mercs etc. Definately in Mercs (remember better as I played it last). MW3 and 4 had their merits, but mainly because they were build on such a solid family and brand.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Mad Mike wrote:

Earth siege lost out in sales terms to the more successful mechwarrior franchise. The only one of these I have played is Mechwarrior 2. That was a good game with lots of fun gameplay but the robot simulation is not nearly as sophisticated as Earthsiege.

I don't know if any of these games can be got to run on a modern windows XP computer though. You should probably try Home of the underdogs and vogons (very old games on new computers) if you are interested.

It was essential in earthseige to cripple enemy mechs for salvage as well as you need their resource's to build up your own mech's, Used to love bring out the razor (?) flying mech and using plasma weapons i think to blow off the legs of the large 4 legged enemy mechs lot's of salvage from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Matt Simis wrote:
    Im fairly sure you could do all of these things in MW2/MW2 Mercs etc. Definately in Mercs (remember better as I played it last). MW3 and 4 had their merits, but mainly because they were build on such a solid family and brand.
    Matt

Now that you mention it I think the MW2 Mechs did have hit zones. I don't recall them playing anything like as important a role as they did in Earth siege. I still have all these games but my copy of the original Earth siege is on floppy disks and my current computer doesn't have a floppy disk drive. I wonder if I could get it run under Dosbox or somthing similar?

I never played any of the mech commander games - They would be more recent and easier to get working these days but I don't know if they are any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Have to say I missed MechWarrior2 :(

Mechwarrior3 was a real gem though, damn fun game. They kind of noobed it up for MW4 though, really simplified everything in it, they made the mech's way way tougher too, and it was virtually impossable to blow yourself up with heat in MW4 aswell.

Mech Commander was such a great game though, used to love my wee fleet of 6 Ravens with ER PPC's mugging the larger 100 ton mech's, with jump jets and that much punch you can get the 5 the mech isnt shooting at to jump behind him and all blast him at once, he falls flat on his face and never gets to stand up before volly 2 blows him sky high, devide and conquer was so effective in that game, both light and heavy mech's served vital roles, both in recon and combat. MC2 was yet again noobed a bit, a lot less freedom with the mechs, especially equipping them, the slot system was just so boring to use, kitting out mech's is half the fun, MC2 pretty much removed it entirely, the combat was pretty fun, but still no better than MC1.

Advertisement