Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a cabin cruiser- questions.

Options
  • 10-10-2006 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    1st time in this forum.
    I have always wanted a boat, and now i think i will start the ball rolling.
    Im looking for a 3 or 4 berth cabin cruiser.
    Can they go from lake to sea or are they purpose built?
    Do i need to take navigation lessons or pass a test?
    Is it expensive to berth one, how do i go about finding out?
    Is there a boat ``nct``?
    Do i have to insure it?
    Where should I start looking to buy one?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

A sea boat will be able for the lake no problem but may have issues on the shallower parts of the inland waterways.
    A river/lake boat would not be suitable for the sea.
    You don't "need" to take any lessons or past any tests but of course it is advisable to do so. This can wait 'till you purchase your boat and then you can do either or both on your boat.
    The expense involved in berthing one varies greatly from where you berth it. A decent size boat in DunLaoire on the marina could easily set you back €5-6k a year where I think it's only in the region of a few hundred euro to leave it on the canals.
    There is no boat NCT but of course you would want to make sure everything is in good working order before purchasing or setting out anywhere.
    I am not sure on the issue of insurance, I know we have it and that it required a marine survey to be carried out but I amn't sure if it's required by law. - Again, it's worth doing anyway.
    The only website you will need to find a boat is: http://www.apolloduck.ie/
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Try www.sailing.ie and www.powerboat.ie for information and apolloduck for buying.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Advertisement