Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

immersion timer (another question)

Options
  • 11-10-2006 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I want to install an immersion timer in my apt. Currently it is controlled by 2 seperate switches. On/Off and a Bath/Sink. I plans to install a timer between
    the the 2 switches (or maybe just replace the On/Off switch).

Ive done some browsing and have found the following 2 timers that i can locally buy.
    1. Flash immermat.
    This is an analogue timer.
    Single channel.
    It has 3 functions Off, On, Timed.

Costs about €30 .

2. Timeguard ETU2000
    This is a digital timer.
    Single Channel
    It has 4 functions Off, On, Timed and Boost

Costs about €38
    www.radionics.ie (search for etu2000)

Ive read that the Flash Immermat is a quality timer.
    Has anyone any opinions on the Timeguard ETU2000?
    I like the fact that it has a Boost button. It means that in the evening if i want a shower i can just hit the boost, it will stay on for 1 hour. and switch off. With the Flash immermat id have to remember to turn it off.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Derek, if you are installing one, my recommendation would be to install it before the current manual switch. That way you can leave the manual switch ON all the time and at SINK, then the timer controls the ON/OFF sequences.

I installed an immersion timer from RS about 8yrs ago, but it was manufactured by Smith, but I have no problems with it. Most of the products from RS are good quality. The one you are looking at is handy with the boost button. Mine has a manual override button, that when you press it it will switch the timer on and will not switch off until the next OFF sequence or when it is manually pressed back off again. I've hardly ever had to use it.

Go for the digital one....they are much more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If your a tech person well able to operate a digital timer, then go for it. They normally have dip switches to allow for all week timing, day by day timing or 5 and 2 day timing, that being set times for Mon-Fri and different times for sat-sun.

The flash immermat is defo a quality timer. It won't be bet for simplicity and reliability.

As Lex has explained, under normal installations it is put before the immersion switch. Making the time switch the master and the immersion switch the slave.

You can also purchase a dual accessory box to enable the installation of both together a lot easier. Its the same width as a doublegang socket, but with terminals in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I like the fact that it has a Boost button. It means that in the evening if i want a shower i can just hit the boost, it will stay on for 1 hour. and switch off. With the Flash immermat id have to remember to turn it off.
    I am also looking at this option (though I am also looking at getting a combi boiler)

Isnt an hour very long time for an immersion to be on?
    Typically after 15 mins I have loads of water for a shower...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

GreeBo wrote:
    I am also looking at this option (though I am also looking at getting a combi boiler)

Isnt an hour very long time for an immersion to be on?
    Typically after 15 mins I have loads of water for a shower...
    I think the 1hr boost timer is there in case you forget to switch it off after an hour....don't think its related to how quick your water heats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah I get that, I just think an hour is too long
    You will end up with 75% of your water unused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I just stumbled upon this thread and I'm thinking hey - this is exactly what I'm looking for!

The last house I was in had a timer that you could just hit boost for an hour which was handy. In the house where I'm in now it's just an on/off switch, and I always forget to switch it off - wasting loads of electricity and also heating the tank to the bejesus.

I was wondering, does anyone have any instructions on how to fit these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I was having same problems as netman, forgetting to switch off all the time and had one fitted by sparky a few wks ago.

Don't know the model but its an analogue configured as per Lex's suggestion above. Can't recommend analogue if it's anywhere near your bedroom. You won't notice during day, but at night you hear this constant ticking as the timer rotates. Almost thinking of switching out for a digital one after reading above info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Lex Luthor wrote:
    ...Mine has a manual override button, that when you press it it will switch the timer on and will not switch off until the next OFF sequence or when it is manually pressed back off again. I've hardly ever had to use it....

I like the sound of that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I presume we all know that the timer must be rated for an immersion and not for CH controls [3-5amp]
    Immersion usually 16A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bluevodka40

a quick question for any of you who have or know anything about the 'flash immermat' timer!
    i just moved house lately and have one of these timers......i havent a clue how to use the timer on it! at the moment im just usint the 'constant on' button.
    if any of you could help me out that would be great or tell me where i might find instructions to use it without having to buy a new one id appriciate it!
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

The last house I was in had a timer that you could just hit boost for an hour which was handy. In the house where I'm in now it's just an on/off switch, and I always forget to switch it off - wasting loads of electricity and also heating the tank to the bejesus.

I have the manual overide option on my timer..... I wired in a coloured low wattage bulb (25w red) in a fitting that is located at ceiling height, just outside the hot press ...... whenever the immersion heater is on the coloured bulb lights up and can be easily seen by all ....... :)

Advertisement