Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Burner Mazda 323

Options
  • 11-10-2006 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

I bought a petrol Mazda 323 saloon 1999 75,000 miles from a dealer about 3 months ago (with a 6 months parts only warranty) for my mum. I decided to keep a check on the fluid levels for her (oil, water etc.) After the first few weeks I noticed the oil level needed topping up. I contacted the garage service dept and was i formed that unless the oil was pouring onto the ground and leaving a puddle, it was not their problem. I estimate that it is burning 1 Litre of oil every 400 - 450 miles.
    Where do I stand with the dealer?
    What can I do to rectify the problem myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Sounds like the piston rings are fried and the engine needs a rebuild or replacement. Changing the viscosity of the oil might help stem the oil burnign but in the long run it looks like new engine. Have you done a compression check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Dunno how to deal with your dealer, I wish you luck there, but as for the motor - those engines should be very strong; is there a pipe, about 4 inches long, which runs from the cam cover to the intake manifold ?

There's a PCV valve in there (a valve with a spring). You could remove it and see if it's working - you should be able to open the valve by pressing the interior with a screwdriver. If it is jammed shut, or if it's way too loose, maybe that's the problem (and it's a cheap thing to fix)

You can maybe see it here in this pic - the black pipe on the left side of the engine parallel with the silver bar.

http://mx5ireland.com/members/frank/coilpack/coilpack_01.JPG

That's the one I'm on about. Of course, the engine will be the other way around in your car than it is in this pic but hopefully it makes sense :)

If the PCV valve fails, the engine blows smoke where it shouldn't, and can drink oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Thanks for the replies lads, I see about a compression test. That's good info on the valve franksm. Fingers crossed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Small piece of advice. Put your complaint regarding the general issue of oil consumption to the garage IN WRITING ASAP. This will protect you in the future as you only have 6 months warranty, if you go back to them after 6 months with a problem you'll have no recourse whatsoever. My best advice to you is to put your problem to paper and send it to them and get another garage to five you a written diagnosis. This way if the piston rings & oil seals are worn and you need a new engine, you can get it done under warranty. Also at 75K mileage and having this problem, I'd be looking at bit more carefully at whether or not the mileage is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Thanks D. Will do. I checked the pcv valve and it appears to be ok. I might replace it anyway. I haven't done a compression test but i took out the plugs and they seem ok - no oil fouling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement