Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rough estimate for clutch repair, please!

Options
  • 11-10-2006 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Hope I'm posting this in the right place...!

And really hoping someone can give me a rough estimate of what I can expect to pay to have my clutch sorted. It was sticking so he's putting in a new "kit" which I'm taking to be the pawl, tension spring, etc...

I dropped off the car yeterday and when I asked for a rough price the mechanic said "don't know, but it won't be millions..."

I know, I know, I should have pushed him for a price but he seems sound enough... :o

But now worrying he might try to rip me off as I'm a "gurl" !!!

If he says he had to put in lots of new parts can I demand to see the old parts he removed??

HELP please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You don't mention the model but a 3 piece clutch kit typically costs around 150-180 euro and fitting similair. It depends on thr model of course but I'd be thinking in terms of 350-400 euro max. It could a quite a bit less.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

A girl eh? ..I assume you driving a loveley resonable pleasant vehicle along the lines of a micra punto etc etc so if you are getting charged over 350euro you are getting ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

Well if its a Ferrari it will be €2000 if its a Micra it will be €280.
    you need to say what car it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

oooops! Forgot to say it's a '96 Fiesta Classic and it definately does NOT have any pink stickers, pink furry steeringwheel cover, pink furry airfreshener, pink anything! ;)

And the problem is all changed now1 The mechanic said he doesn't think replacing the kit will make any difference to the sticking (which has stopped again!:rolleyes: ) It's just an old clutch beginning to show signs of age but will be o.k for another while.

The problem nowis the steering rack. I need a new one as it's "very worn and the rubber is gone..." And now that he's said that I can hear a clicking when I turn the steering wheel allright!

So apologies for changing the request but how much for a reconditioned steering rack???

So far the cheapest he can do is €270... does that sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

If €270 is the fitted price, you're doing well as there's quite a bit of work in replacing a rack i.e. tracking etc. I take it you don't have power steering as this could prove more expensive also?

The clutch pedal does occasionally stick on the fiesta due to the self adjusting mechanism. This machanism will probably have to be replaced eventually but it wouldn't be as expensive as an actual clutch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

in all honesty sudz, I would buy a different car, spend a couple of grand and get something else. at the moment ur looking at a new steering rack, and a new clutch down the line, your car will not be worth one cent more with these things done to it, so trade in now and let some garage worry about it!

If €270 is the fitted price, you're doing well as there's quite a bit of work in replacing a rack i.e. tracking etc. I take it you don't have power steering as this could prove more expensive also?

The clutch pedal does occasionally stick on the fiesta due to the self adjusting mechanism. This machanism will probably have to be replaced eventually but it wouldn't be as expensive as an actual clutch.

Yes, that's the fitted price.

Thanks for reassuring me I'm not being taken for a ride!

..and predracer, you're totally right but I'm stuck in the uncomfortable position of not having a few grand for a new car, be it a loan or otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On the Fiesta Ford used a very stupid plastic toothed self-adjusting mechanism to take up slack which develops over time, its cheap to replace.

Can you hear a click when you press the clutch pedal?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    On the Fiesta Ford used a very stupid plastic toothed self-adjusting mechanism to take up slack which develops over time, its cheap to replace.

Can you hear a click when you press the clutch pedal?

Mike.

No click!

It's weird really as the clutch was sticking one day last week but it's been o.k since!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement