Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitchen is very dark

Options
  • 11-10-2006 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm extending my house at the moment and a problem has come to light (excuse the pun) as my new kitchen is very dark.

First of all, let me give you an idea of how it looks -

imagine a rectangular box that faces north with the existing kitchen on the top right hand side, i.e. north east. Now the kitchen is being extended out at the top (north) and side (east) and thus the old kitchen is being swallowed up by the extension and thus natural delight doesn't illuminate the space like it used to (the new kitchen will be 24 ft x 22 ft).

When the plans were being drafted, I told the architect that this would happen but he dismissed my concerns and said daylight would indeed reach into the existing kitchen - well that hasn't come to pass and we now need to have the lights on during the middle of the day.

I've been looking into getting some velux roof windows installed and having the builder put in some tunnels to bring the light down from the roof to the kitchen below (its a bungalow by the way). My wife wants them installed on the north facing roof so they won't be seen from the road but as the sun is in the south, I think they'll work better here (I inserted two velux windows into the planning application despite the Architects objections so I do have pp for them).

Has anyone got any thoughts, opinions etc on whether velux's will work on a north/south facing roof, how many would I need to illuminate the space, are the electric opening windows worth the expense or would suntubes be another option. As the roof is being re slated shortly, I'll need to get moving on this asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could you use glass blocks in a wall to allow light in?
    You are correct with the S facing velux windows.N facing velux are not great for light, it tends to be low level light.
    I would not bother with Suntubes/solar tubes they are a lot of hassle for the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 furni

this company may have something for your requirements
    www.rooflights.ie

I probably would put the sun tube on the north roof.

thanks,
    richard
    www.furniture.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi all,

I'm extending my house at the moment and a problem has come to light (excuse the pun) as my new kitchen is very dark.

First of all, let me give you an idea of how it looks -

imagine a rectangular box that faces north with the existing kitchen on the top right hand side, i.e. north east. Now the kitchen is being extended out at the top (north) and side (east) and thus the old kitchen is being swallowed up by the extension and thus natural delight doesn't illuminate the space like it used to (the new kitchen will be 24 ft x 22 ft).

When the plans were being drafted, I told the architect that this would happen but he dismissed my concerns and said daylight would indeed reach into the existing kitchen - well that hasn't come to pass and we now need to have the lights on during the middle of the day.

I've been looking into getting some velux roof windows installed and having the builder put in some tunnels to bring the light down from the roof to the kitchen below (its a bungalow by the way). My wife wants them installed on the north facing roof so they won't be seen from the road but as the sun is in the south, I think they'll work better here (I inserted two velux windows into the planning application despite the Architects objections so I do have pp for them).

Has anyone got any thoughts, opinions etc on whether velux's will work on a north/south facing roof, how many would I need to illuminate the space, are the electric opening windows worth the expense or would suntubes be another option. As the roof is being re slated shortly, I'll need to get moving on this asap.

" Pipe a Light"...There are two types Rigid and Flexible ...two different manufacturers. Davies stock one type. Self-cleaning dome on roof and diffuser fitted into ceiling. Saw them at recent builders fair,RDS. Was told it was DIY job, a couple of hours work. No structural changes. Various sizes.
    Worth a look before you commit to Velux etc.
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

this company may have something for your requirements
    www.rooflights.ie
    It would be a big job installing those roof lights if you have an attic space, actually pointless unless you open up the attic completly.I have velux in my attic and they are grand, but my Mother has one in Her bathroom that has a tunnel and it's not great, the tunnel is extremly long, about 5 feet or more and it swallows most of the light, for a big room you would need several to do the job of a wall mounted window.So maybe consider opening the attic completly, you would then have a choice of what to use,be they window lights or velux and a nice open room also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

I would just point out that light through south facing windows is extremly strong and hot. Too much light can be as bad as too little! Personally would look carefully at north facing option, maybe you could install more to ensure adequate light?

• Advertisement
Advertisement