Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rover 416 L e(1998) 48000Miles

Options
  • 11-10-2006 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Friends;

What do u think about this car?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mmalaka wrote:
    Friends;

What do u think about this car?

Thanks

It depends on condition, service history and how much is being asked for it. We need more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Nothing mention about the service history
    NCT July 2008
    price is 1950

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mmalaka wrote:
    NCT July 2008
    price is 1950
    As bazz says, it's impossible to say without more detail, particularly regarding condition & service history.

mmalaka wrote:
    NCT July 2008
    price is 1950

I would be looking for some sort of evidence of a service history, receipts for any work carried out, timing belt changed, etc. That is very low mileage for an almost 9 year old car. Not totally unheard of though.

The Rover K Series engines are very prone to head gaskette failure so if it has not been looked after by it's previous owners you could be stuck with some expensive repairs.

The NCT is only a certificate of road worthiness and not an indication of mechanical health so while having almost 1.5 years left on the NCT I would be more concerned about the service history. Doesn't have to be from a main Rover dealer but as long as there is evidence that the car was maintained in the last couple of years or so.

Get the car also checked out by a good independant mechanic before buying. Also a 98 Rover 400 should be had for less than €1,950 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

correct but they r not saying anything about that

but what do u think about the Rover cars Ingeneral? Is it good cars? spare parts? Perfromance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If someone was claiming mileage that low I would not believe it without comprehensive proof: service history, stamps in the book, past NCT reports etc. If someone can't be arsed keeping this kind of info, then the chances are they can't be arsed looking after their car either.

When did Rover ston using the Honda 1.6L engine anyway? I know they dressed them up (rocker cover) to look like a Rover engine, but the letters "PGM-FI" on the throttle body indicate it's a Honda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

Rover has no performance, thats not what their about. Lots of spare parts around scrap yards because they easily break down.

Not much in the way of genuine new parts as; "MG ROVER GROUP LIMITED and POWERTRAIN LIMITED - go to administration"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JHMEG wrote:

When did Rover ston using the Honda 1.6L engine anyway?

want2play wrote:
    Rover has no performance, thats not what their about. Lots of spare parts around scrap yards because they easily break down.

Not much in the way of genuine new parts as; "MG ROVER GROUP LIMITED and POWERTRAIN LIMITED - go to administration"

Not totally true.

The Rover 1.4 K Series engine has been around since the early 1990s and has around 104bhp while the 1.6 litre had a bit more. Even by today's standards that is decent power. A brand new VW Golf 1.4 has only 75bhp and a Ford Focus 1.4 only 80bhp.

The K series engine's main weakness is head gaskette failure due to very low coolant capacity in the engine. The coolant leaking causes overheating resulting in a blown head gaskette. The coolant level needs to be checked very regualary on them.

There are still at least one company in the UK making parts for Rover afaik so it is not all doom and gloom.

I had a dream my waterpump failed on my Rover last night - Weird or what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

want2play wrote:
    Rover has no performance, thats not what their about.
    Ever driven a 620Ti?

Anan1 wrote:
    Ever driven a 620Ti?

Or a 220 coupe turbo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

JohnCleary wrote:
    Shame. The Honda engines are bomb-proof by comparison.

Advertisement