Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sanchez to end 20 years of hurt

• 11-10-2006 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

98fm ran a story this morning, saying that Lawrie Sanchez wants to end 20 years of hurt by catching the Republic in the world rankings.

Currently I have no doubt the will catch us, just when???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

When John O Shea starts playing centre forward. (And that's probably not far away at this stage.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

It looks quite likely now doesn't it, look at their performances recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Think I saw somewhere yesterday that if we are beaten by the Czech and the Nordies beat Latvia, they go ahead of us. Not sure if this is actually the case though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2 years ago Ireland was 15-ish and NI was 124.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

mike65 wrote:

2 years ago Ireland was 15-ish and NI was 124.

Mike.

At this current rate we might just reverse them positions :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

DaveH wrote:
    98fm ran a story this morning, saying that Lawrie Sanchez wants to end 20 years of hurt by catching the Republic in the world rankings.

Currently I have no doubt the will catch us, just when???

NEVER!!!

Now we have a reason to beat the Czechs.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

wherent we 50-60th back in 97/98 or something? im sure we will bounce back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

bizmark wrote:
    wherent we 50-60th back in 97/98 or something? im sure we will bounce back

I have attached a graph of Ireland's rank in comparison to Northern Ireland over the last 13 years. Our lowest rank ever was at the end of 1998, 57th. Our highest rank ever was 6th in the world, in August 1993, ahead of teams like Brazil and England ;)

Serbian wrote:
    Here's a graph of Ireland's rank in comparison to Northern Ireland over the last 13 years. Our lowest rank ever was at the end of 1998, 57th. Our highest rank ever was 6th in the world, in August 1993, ahead of teams like Brazil and England ;)

Page doesnt seem to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Everyone knows that the Fifa ranking system is a pile of horse dung anyway. Ireland are going through a bad patch but overall if you look at the players on offer for Ireland v N Ireland, its no match really. Ireland will be back to full flight again, its just a matter of time. I think N Ireland will go back to their usual ways of losing most matches in qualifying again, they had a good win against Spain but its unlikely that this will be repeated again. If you look at the likes of Scotland last year and compare them to the way they are now there is such a giant leap in performance that its hard to believe that all this has happened in the space of 12 months. Ultimately I think that Ireland have the 2nd best pool of players to choose from between Wales, England, Scotland, N Ireland and ourselves. This will eventually show through in a couple of years period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Works for me, but you can make the graph yourself by going to this page and choosing Ireland and Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Serbian wrote:
    Works for me, but you can make the graph yourself by going to this page and choosing Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Hmm that a really cool page .....Ironic how our last bad patch seemed to last for around 4 years before things got better :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Scary thing is how high we got..

so after the results last night, has lawrie ended the hurt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

sofireland wrote:
    so after the results last night, has lawrie ended the hurt?

I think the gulf in points is too much for NI to overtake us..

We are about 180 points ahead the gulf between the teams
    in the 40's and teams in the 50's is quite evident in the rankings.

I reckon we'll head down to 48/50th and NI will head up to 52/54th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

F*cksake!
    Thats unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Thoroughly deserved. Credit where its due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

The reasons why Stan should be sacked are growing;

lack of experience
    The holland match
    Saying that a draw with Cyrpus would not be a disaster prior to the match.
    Losing to Cyprus 5-2
    Again with the defeatest attitude prior to the czech game
    Suceeding in making us worse than the north

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

These rankings are a new version brought in after the world cup. It's very easy to rise up the rankings. Stan could actually have us in the top 10 if we won all our 6 games. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

eirebhoy wrote:
    These rankings are a new version brought in after the world cup. It's very easy to rise up the rankings. Stan could actually have us in the top 10 if we won all our 6 games. :)

I very, very much doubt that !

BolBill wrote:
    I very, very much doubt that !
    There's nothing to doubt. It's now possible to calculate the points for the FIFA rankings. We currently have 568 points. 6 wins under Stan would have brought us up to around 1250 and ahead of the Czechs up to 8th. Even a win against Cyprus and the Czechs would have brought us up to 24th.

Anyway, they're meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    There's nothing to doubt. It's now possible to calculate the points for the FIFA rankings. We currently have 568 points. 6 wins under Stan would have brought us up to around 1250 and ahead of the Czechs up to 8th. Even a win against Cyprus and the Czechs would have brought us up to 24th.

Anyway, they're meaningless.
    I don't think he's doubting that if we won our 6 matches we would be catapulted to the dizzy heights of a top 10 position within the FIFA ranking system. I think he's doubting the fact that Stan could guide us to 6 wins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Another record broke by Stan & the boys. Well done lads!!!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

eirebhoy wrote:
    It's very easy to rise up the rankings.
    If it's so easy then why aren't the Rep doing it?

sinecurea wrote:
    If it's so easy then why aren't the Rep doing it?
    Eh, because we're not winning...

I'm talking about the comparison with the new and old rankings. We were stuck in around 15th spot for about 2 years under Kerr. With the new rankings we'd be fluctuating much more. For one, they're now based over 4 years rather than 8. Also, results from the last 12 months now have a much bigger weight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well its a sad day for tyhe Rep sanchez got his way
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6061782.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

well its a sad day for tyhe Rep sanchez got his way
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6061782.stm

It was a sad day 8 days ago , most of us are used to it by now .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Big Ears wrote:
    It was a sad day 8 days ago , most of us are used to it by now .
    embarassed to have missed the news tbh

im living outside Ireland ATM and have just started a job where im constantly surrounded by world news like the wold series or obscure stuff (im currently aquiring the rights to Dragonboat racing lol). Its hard for me to believe but it seems that, this really is the first its been picked up on by the media outside of Ireland. i apologise though no more discussion is really needed i guess. Surprised how quick it came about though first Rankings after Sanchez made it his goal... Cyprus really made the world realise something about us eh?

These are new ranking and it isn't hard to rise and fall in them. We were stuck around 15th for 2 or 3 years under Kerr. That's not gonna happen again. :)

/Edit - eh, just noticed it was this thread I said the exact same thing in. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Hadn't realised they'd changed the system. How does it work now. I know the old one was based on results over last six or seven years and seemed to work quite well. What's the deal with the new one?

Advertisement