Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection Problems and Lag...

Options
  • 11-10-2006 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    I would really appreciate a collective banging of heads on this one as my BF2 experience is becoming unbearable.

I am experiencing severe lag and "Server Conection" messages every 10-15 seconds whilst playing. Its getting to the point where I'm banging my head against the wall. I have noticed this only started happening after I installed 1.4

I don't have anything downloading in the background while playing plus irishisptest tells me my internet connection is in good shape, 3MB Eircom connection.

My rig is decent enough, 7800GTX, 64 bit cpu, nice mobo and 1GB dual channell RAM.

Things I have done so far -

1. Updated the firmware for my router.
    2. Manually installed punkbuster and updated it.
    3. Updated spybot, immunized my machine, ran a scan and remove all offenders.
    4. Ran an AV scan, nothing found.

Any ideas are welcome...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

OK so it doesnt seem to be local to your machine. What servers have you connected to? Are they UK based? Try our server, based in Dublin, 82.195.136.136:16567 and see how that runs.

Secondly do a tracert to a server you are having problems on and post results here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

OK so it doesnt seem to be local to your machine. What servers have you connected to? Are they UK based? Try our server, based in Dublin, 82.195.136.136:16567 and see how that runs.

Secondly do a tracert to a server you are having problems on and post results here.

The main offender is the FMJS (Full Metal JockStrap) Clan server, based in the UK. I'll try you server tonight from home....

Cheers Hairy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

make sure on your router that the dsl connetion setting is set to "always on" rather than "instant on" or "on demand" (varies among makes)

That change to my router seems to have fixed alot of connection problems in general i was having but havent verified it with BF2 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Firewall?

Zillah wrote:
    Firewall?

Nope..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Scruff wrote:
    make sure on your router that the dsl connetion setting is set to "always on" rather than "instant on" or "on demand" (varies among makes)

That change to my router seems to have fixed alot of connection problems in general i was having but havent verified it with BF2 yet.

where can you check this?

Atlas_IRL wrote:
    where can you check this?

It depends on whether your router actually has this feature.
    Mine doesn't.

This only started happening since Patch 1.4

I will uninstall this patch tonight and re-install.

Checked your server out man, no one on it.

Pinged it though and the FMJS server (Great clan based in the UK) -

TIG Server

Pinging 82.195.136.136 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.136: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=122
    Reply from 82.195.136.136: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=122

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.136:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 14ms

FMJS Server

Pinging 85.236.101.26 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 85.236.101.26: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=123
    Reply from 85.236.101.26: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=123

Ping statistics for 85.236.101.26:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 21ms

Extended FMJS Ping

Ping statistics for 85.236.101.26:
    Packets: Sent = 106, Received = 106, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 21ms

So its not a connection issue.
    I bet this game is borked again...

So, I found the Always ON option in the router and turned it on.

No effect whatsoever.

Bloody joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i didnt say it would fix it.
    If thats how ye react to a bit of advice on a possible solution i wont bother in future.

• Advertisement

Scruff wrote:
    i didnt say it would fix it.
    If thats how ye react to a bit of advice on a possible solution i wont bother in future.

"Bloody Joke" was not directed at you or the solution you gave me.

It was a comment about my situation and the frustration it is causing me.

Sorry if you took me up the wrong way and thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Eircom broadband has been down to almost dial-up speed for about 5 days. There is a problem in churchfield that they cant seem to find. maybe thats the
    cause.Check out the "broadband" thread "not again..."

(1.4 patch works perfectly)

thrill wrote:
    Eircom broadband has been down to almost dial-up speed for about 5 days. There is a problem in churchfield that they cant seem to find. maybe thats the cause.Check out the "broadband" thread "not again..."

Its been going on longer than that so I dont think thats the reason...

Thanks anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Eircom bb is back up with the last 30 mins or so. In cork anyway.Im not sure but i think that patch 1.4 was not to be installed over 1.3. There was a seperate patch, 1.3 > 1.4 , for those that had installed 1.3 first. hth.

thrill wrote:
    Eircom bb is back up with the last 30 mins or so. In cork anyway.Im not sure but i think that patch 1.4 was not to be installed over 1.3. There was a seperate patch, 1.3 > 1.4 , for those that had installed 1.3 first. hth.

I patched up incrementally.... 1.3 to 1.4 is the one I applied...

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Do you have any other online FPS you can try? Like CS or Call of Duty. If they are not laggy at least you can rule out the connection.

Did your video settings get reset with the new patch? Set everything to low (Temporally) and see if that solves the problem?

I set my video options via the advice in this http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html

Advertisement