Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Condensation..

Options
  • 11-10-2006 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I went paintballing a week or 2 ago and they said they put this special spray on the inside of the visor to stop it getting clogged up with condensation when you're breathing in the head gear. If you touched the inside, it would ruin the application and a new coat would need to be applied. Anyway, the visor kept clear throughout the whole 5 hours or so.

Just wondering is there any such thing for car windows? My heating isn't the best and takes quite a while to clear a clogged up window and when it's never really cleared properly in bad weather.

Anyone know of any such spray or other methods to keep condensation low or non existant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Yes you can buy a spray. However you could use washing up liquid. Put few drops on a clean rag, wipe/polish over the inside of the windsows. Almost as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah washing up liquid does the trick - i use it on my helmet visor and it lasts longer than the spray and its cheaper too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My advice on this is to clean the inside of your screen as thoroghly as possible - I actually use petrol! Vigorously wipe the inside with kitchen towel damped in 95 unleaded then as it evaporats use a window cleaner like Cif/Windowlene with a fresh towel and scrub well. Fianlly rub down with a dry clean paper towel. Mist/condensation clears faster from a clean surface.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

cool, must give that a whirl! thanks:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Meths or a similar strong alcohol does as good a job as petrol and won't leave the car smelling like a forecourt. Bonus points for having a crafty sup afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, afaik, condensation exists because it attaches itself to the thin film of grease on the inside of your windscreen (comes from breath, sweat, touching the screen, etc). Any good window or dish cleaning product (or petrol! - does that not stink mike?) should be an effective degreaser which will clear off most of this film.

Is this the case for all glass do you reckon?

I made a piece of furniture with a water feature and a problem is that condensation builds up and it takes away from the piece itself. Will a polish of washing up liquid followed by a polish of petrol sort it?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

seamus wrote:
    Any good window or dish cleaning product (or petrol! - does that not stink mike?).

Nope! I cleaned the drivers side this morning with the drivers door open, left the car for about 5 mins with the front windows half-open came back and no petrol smell - just leather!

Mike.

How often do you have to re-apply these coats?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

See my other thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52184338&posted=1#post52184338

basically my Heater is shot.. I have cold air only.. I've been using alcohol based aftershave to try and keep them clear.. last about a hour or so..

Before that I tried washing up liquid on a wet towel, it worked but the inside of the window was wet like, you could see the liquid I'd put on.. if you know what I mean.. Is there something I missed here to get it to dry? or should it just do it on its own?

Wish I had some petrol now LOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement