Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with a slow pay

Options
  • 11-10-2006 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

I recently took on a new client and am presently on a Web project for them. As a result of the sales and post-sales process, they signed off on a functionality and deliverables specification as well as a schedule of payments and credit terms. These are a fairly standard:
    • 40% of estimate upon sign-off of the functionality and deliverables specification (0 days credit)
    • 40% of estimate upon delivery of functionality and deliverables described in the above document
    • 20% of estimate & the balance of any other costs (change requests, etc) upon the end a three month debug period (30 days credit)
    The functionality and deliverables specification was signed off and client was invoiced three weeks ago and we’re into development now. No payments have been forthcoming to date and the client has been evasive about this.

Now I’m ultimately not worried about getting paid (as I control both the domain name and hosting to the Web site in question) and I am well in my rights to ‘down tools’ until that first payment, however I would prefer to avoid souring the relationship, even if they are ‘acting the maggot’, at this early stage.

Also, I’m not suggesting dishonesty; it’s quite likely that they simply didn’t bother to read the credit terms and so my invoice didn’t make their monthly cheque run.

So far I’ve been understanding, but my concern is that this creates a precedent for future payments - I’d like to avoid another client that gives themselves 150 days credit (all too commonplace in Ireland).

Any suggestions for dealing with this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ring their credit controller/accounts person who may not have actually read the contract yet and ask nicely when they are doing their cheque run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

issue them with a statement reminding them of the credit terms. If you dont get a response from this follow it up with a call. Theres no need to feel bad about looking for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I think send invoice again except marked "COPY" or "Payment Now Due"

you should always send a couple of reminders before you go ringing anyone...

Advertisement